Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to access Hotmail

• Please log in to reply

Minx

Minx

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi guys

Please help me :tazz:

I tried to access hotmail today and I am unable to, i'm plagued with the dreaded "The page cannot be displayed" page.

I have tried to gain access via both www.hotmail.com and via MSN Messenger both to no avail.

With a little bit of patience and clicking here and there I finally get to the Microsoft Passport Network page, where it prompts you to sign into your hotmail. That does sign me in at least and takes me to a page called "MSN Account Services Home" - where I can change account information, privacy and security etc etc. (I did change my password for all it's worth - that seems to have had no effect).

When in this page the usual MSN Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Shopping | Money | People & Chat | Sign out links are situated at the top. So I click Hotmail and BOOM! Back to "The page cannot be displayed" error. Incidently if I click any of the other links whether it be My MSN, People & Chat etc etc I gain access to these no probs.

I have a couple of other @hotmail.com addresses - 5 infact 1/5 is working. And my @hotmail.co.uk address is also accessible with ease.

Unfortunately it's my main and most used account I cannot access.

I emailed customer support this morning regarding this, so far haven't had an acknowledgement.

Can any of you suggest a solution to this problem? :)

Many Thanks

Minx

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Under Internet Options, go to the Security Tab and click on Custom Level. Make sure your "Allow META REFRESH" option is Enabled. Once I did this, the hotmail page was able to show up on my screen.

Also, make sure you're not using any Multiproxy servers because both Yahoo and Hotmail don't recognize a foreign cookie.

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Under Internet Options, go to the Security Tab and click on Custom Level. Make sure your "Allow META REFRESH" option is Enabled. Once I did this, the hotmail page was able to show up on my screen.

This was already enabled on my settings.

Also, make sure you're not using any Multiproxy servers because both Yahoo and Hotmail don't recognize a foreign cookie.

View Post

EEK! Proxy servers not really knowledgable about those, but under internet options/connections - the settings are untouched.

I could access hotmail fine yesterday, and as I say actually can access 1/5 of my accounts and the @hotmail.co.uk address just fine.

Any other suggestions at all please? :tazz:

Edited by Minx, 23 September 2005 - 09:58 AM.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ow okay.

i have the same problem on my old computer but when i use aol.
aol.com works fine with 3 of my screen names but with one it comes up with page cannot be displayed.

i would contact hotmail if i was you!

it has to be a problem on their end

sometimes it happens when they update their site

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well I have emailed them, gawd knows if it's the right address I used to contact them.

Thanks for your help.

In the meantime if anyone else has any ideas would be very much appreciated. I doubt i'll get a reply to my email, I haven't in the past when I have emailed these people.... :tazz:

coollooks

coollooks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Minx

I have had the same problem today,,im not able to get access to my hotmail,,ame thing as you "The page cannot be displayed". I have been trying all day and the same thing each time. Possibly there must be a problem today with hotmail. If you were eventually able to access it can u let me know

Thanks

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I certainly will. I wonder if it's a regional thing? Nah can't be, I can still access one of my accounts.

:tazz: :)

coollooks

coollooks

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Minx, maybe it is only accessing hotmail.co.uk accounts and not hotmail.com accounts. My sister as also tried to access her hotmail.com account today and couldnt. A real pain isnt it

heatherw610

heatherw610

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Mine will not work as well. I have 3 accounts and 2 will work, one will not. Its my oldest and most used one too!! I keep getting error 0x800CCCF1 gateway timeout error when using OE and then when I go through IE it will say page not found and IE closes!!

I am ticked and hope this gets resolved soon. I emailed them too.

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem with Hotmail today. I cannot sign in as it keeps giving me the "Page not found" page. I have had this before but I didn't know how I resolved it since it was literally me turning on my computer one day and Hotmail worked. I think I tried to disable the privacy controls in my zonelabs settings so cookies and pop ups were set to Off because I had avast webshield.
Tried it but didn't seem to work this time.javascript:emoticon(':tazz:')
smilie

I am running the latest software and have all the updates for win xp. I have tried signing in in Mozilla, Opera aswell as Netscape but no luck there.

Please help!

Advertisements

gwest57

gwest57

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Same here in Kansas City, Can't access my email. Tried everything nothing works even tried my other computer and it won't access hotmail either. Hope hotmail gets there act together and fixes this thing fast. :tazz:

Minx

Minx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
And with that it works. Just tried it literally 2 mins ago and hey presto i'm in.

Hope everyone else is able to access it now if not very soon! :tazz:

JennaAllen

JennaAllen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ME TOO!!! But I can;t open attachments

Edited by JennaAllen, 23 September 2005 - 03:44 PM.

crazyguitarchik

crazyguitarchik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hey guys!

I'm back online as well! But it wasn't at my end, it was microsoft. Microsoft hotmail does get hacked time to time to screw up their services. I recommend you all change your email addresses to another service like yahoo or gmail or any other because it is likely to happen again being a permanent presence of anti-microsoft hackers everywhere!
:tazz:

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

ME TOO!!! But I can;t open attachments

View Post

You can only open attachments that were sent by Hotmail users thats why I use Gmail just to forward from homail and open the attachment on gmail.

hey guys!

I'm back online as well! But it wasn't at my end, it was microsoft. Microsoft hotmail does get hacked time to time to screw up their services. I recommend you all change your email addresses to another service like yahoo or gmail or any other because it is likely to happen again being a permanent presence of anti-microsoft hackers everywhere!  :)

Actually, If you take the security measures like keeping your system safe from Keyloggers and such parasites and have a stron password them it would be almost impossible to hack.

:tazz: :) :)