Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is there a problem on my PC ?

• Please log in to reply

daveBB

daveBB

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi, I'm the 'troubled' guy snew posts about in this topic

here

I've got my internet back after I deleted the existing hosts.bak file and making the hosts one .bak

(didn't work yesterday but did about 30 minutes ago)

I'll post my log here just to check if anything is wrong / present that shouldn't be there.

I'll be deleting some of the spyware seekers as well, the microsoft thing didn't do it's job anyway and the xoftspy is a trial only so it only found things it couldn't delete. (a trojan thing amongst others, but other programs didn't see that one in any case .. weird)

cheers guys !!

dave

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 18:47:46, on 23-9-2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackd.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Alcatel\SpeedTouch USB\Dragdiag.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackice.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
D:\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\XoftSpy\XoftSpy.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - Global Startup: BlackICE PC Protection.lnk = C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackice.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{CEE31AFC-E6AD-4B25-A854-4EA3F38F74ED}: NameServer = 62.58.50.5 62.58.50.6
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BlackICE - Internet Security Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackd.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: RapApp - Internet Security Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\rapapp.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Dave,

Nice to see you got here safely. :tazz:

What problems do we have left to deal with?

Regards,

daveBB

daveBB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
that's a good question.

when scanning with xoftspy I get four entries

a trojan/cws combo
searchmaid
smitfraud
and a disabled windows update feature.

the program calls the first one a high thread (understandably I guess) the next two an annoyance and the last one a possible thread.

funnily enough it's the only tool who found anything, as the windows thing (that's uninstalled by now), spybot, CWS shredder, adaware, spybot and spysweeper didn't find anything ..

so I really wondered if the 'bakking' of the hosts file was all, I wouldn't think so but I've got no visible problems atm

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The presence of a hosts file blocking access to seciurity sites and forums is usually a sign of more bad things.
But I don't see any of them left in your HijackThis log.

Does XoftSpy produce any logs you can post?

I must add that I would put my trust rather on SpySweeper and MSAS, so it is awkward that it is the only scanner that find anything

Regards,