Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enclosure for Ultra ATA/100 HD

• Please log in to reply

Balbowa

Balbowa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Seagate 200GB Ultra ATA/100 8MB Buffer ST3200822A

I just purchased this HD from outpost.com, http://shop2.outpost...product/4008252, for 50$ after rebate. Now I need an enclosure for it. I don't really know much about the different interfaces (IDE, ATA) and I'm having trouble figuring out with cases will actually be compatible with my hard drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, would it be necessary to get a combination USB 2.0 / Firewire because I've read that firewire is actually faster in the long run.

Thanks!

Balbowa

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Carefully examine the HD you bought. What kind of cable does it connect with, IDE or SATA? IDE is a flat ribbon cable, 40 pin. Just look for an enclosure that will acomodate your drive. Search google, lots to choose from, and generally very good descriptions as to drives supported. I have managed to put 4 such devices together and all work very well.

Balbowa

Balbowa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Carefully examine the HD you bought.  What kind of cable does it connect with, IDE or SATA?  IDE is a flat ribbon cable, 40 pin.  Just look for an enclosure that will acomodate your drive.  Search google, lots to choose from, and generally very good descriptions as to drives supported.  I have managed to put 4 such devices together and all work very well.

View Post

Thanks geek.