Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help!

• Please log in to reply

jimc

jimc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
How do I answer these questions:

Dynamic IP Address (DHCP) or static IP?

Please enter your IP Address

Please enter your netmask

Please enter your gateway

Please enter your DNS 1

Please enter your DNS 2

Please be detailed-thanks in advance

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What is your network setup like now? Do you have multiple machines behind a router? Just one? The most common would be:

DHCP enabled. This will remove the option of having to create static ip's because the router or server will assign the computer an IP address, subnet, and a gateway. Your ISP should provide the DNS server address. Or is this a workstation at your work or school maybe that doesn't access the internet?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

jimc

jimc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
no no its just one adsl connection and one laptop. cant i run something like ipconfig

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ooooh, ok gotcha. Click Start, Run, type "cmd" without the quotes, click ok. Next type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and this will show you all your ip information, whether you are running dhcp, static ip's, your dns server, etc.... If you have an address of 169.254.x.y then something's not working right. That is the address range reserved for windows to assign you when you cannot receive one from the dhcp server. Try typing ipconfig /release this will release your ip then type ipconfig /renew you should receive a new addy if you're configured correctly. After you type ipconfig /all copy copy and paste it back here for me to check for ya.

jimc

jimc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
for renew and release this occurred :the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation.

ipconfig /all

Host name......Croztop
Primary Dns Suffix......
Node type.....Hybrid
IP routing enabled......no
WINS Proxy Enabled......no

Connection-specific DNS Suffix....
Description......WAN <PPP/SLIP> Interface
Physical Address.....00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled ......No
IP Address......81.152.159.66
Subnet Mask.....255.255.255.255
Default Gateway.....81.152.159.66
DNS Servers.........194.74.65.68

So do you think you could answer the questions in the original post Cheers.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well I would say to answer the first question of DHCP or Static= DHCP. And there should be no need to answer the rest since everything should be automatically configured. What exactly is asking you those questions? Or is that your question after looking at the tcp/ip properties? Just wondering if a program is asking you that or you are going to input it. ;)

jimc

jimc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
no mate its my http://en.streamium....oducts/mc-i250/ thats asking 4 this info