Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Defrag - Cannot connect to Diskeeper?

• Please log in to reply

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Diskeeper might made some other other changes in the registry; the following regfix from Kelly' Korner should complete the process:
http://www.kellys-ko...efragsnapin.reg

Advertisements

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No 'application error' message came up this time, but the same old diskeeper message occurred. I really appreciate the help btw, darth ash :tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I think Diskeeper may have also replaced the original defrg.msc.
Lets do a sytem file check; follow the steps below:
Start -> Run.
Type: sfc /SCANNOW
Press <enter>.
Follow the instructions by the System file checker.

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
After doing this, a small window with the message 'please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions' displays and the progression bar moves to the end - then the window disappears. Have attempted this 3 times now, to no avail.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That is what it dose

a small window with the message 'please wait while windows verifies that all protected windows files are intact and in their original versions' displays and the progression bar moves to the end - then the window disappears

See if it fixed you problems, also doing that undose the effect of some windows updates to fix that read This (That link shoud take you to tweak 15) and follow what it says find out what ones need reinstalling and I will tell you how to do that.

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Followed QFECHECK tweak - Identified 21 Hotfixes, and all registered as 'Current on system' in the command prompt window.

*EDIT - the system file check didn't resolve the defrag error.

Edited by manchal, 25 September 2005 - 12:47 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Follow the steps below:
Start -> Run
Type: cmd
Press <enter>

In the command-prompt window type the following commands and press <enter> after each one:
cd \windows\system32
regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll
regsvr32 dfrgui.dll

Now open "My computer" and goto c:\windows\inf (its hidden, so don't forget to change the settings in folder options)
In there you will find a file called dfrg.inf right click this file, and select Install.

Edited by darth_ash, 25 September 2005 - 02:21 AM.

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
:) God bless you yardguard, michael and especially darth ash. Problem's completely fixed, thank you very much for all the help and time you've given.

Just out of interest, is all the technical knowledge and specific registry/command-prompt detail something you know entirely through experience and proficiency?
It seems amazing that all the complicatedly pinpoint-accurate commands could be learned offhand; do you use any documents or reference files to check this stuff up?

Big Up G2G, baby :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
If you what to know, I don't know every thing that I say with looking it up, I do have about 75 bookmarks on tecnical stuff a lot of documents and know how to find a lot more very quickly.
But how did you learn to spell? It took time and effort, it is the same with all the commands and every thing eles we know some things and we look up others, just like useing a Dictionary to find a word you can spell.