Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Shut down problem

• Please log in to reply

davew9999

davew9999

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
When I shut down my PC by clicking on start then shut down it will shut my PC down as normal but then it will turn itself back on again straight away! To turn it off fully i have to hold the power button down.

Any suggestions as to why this happens?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320299

I note you have a number of topics on the go

You would be better to list all the problems and deal with them in one topic as everyone who replies can see the steps already taken

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i have had a look at that and it just says to try disable restart on error. i have tried this but it still reboots my pc automatically when i shut down

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Please try downloading WinXP Manager from here..

When you start the program go to Optimizer tab, then click on System Repair, now click on upper System Repair tab and then click on Click here to fix it button..

After all restart your computer and it should work proportly.. :tazz:

Edited by Antartic-Boy, 23 September 2005 - 06:42 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for information on WinXP Manager

http://www.winxp-man...ager/index.html

I am not a fan of direct download links

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
just downloaded that program and tried the fixes... still doesn't work though! what it does is shut down and then in about half a second comes back on again as if ive just pressed the power button. I was thinking of formatting (again) as my PC is just not installing things.

I think my norton firewall is not letting things install but the pop up asking if i want to allow it isn't popping up!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could repair it

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

When offline, disable Norton and try to install something

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i've just formatted and reinstalled windows and it still reboots when i shut down! i think it might be something to do with the cables inside. there were two 1 pin connectors that didnt have a name on them so i havnt plugged them in anywhere.

i think one had a red wire and the other was white.

does anybody know what it could be?

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Having cables which are not connected inside a PC Case is usual

If the case has not been moved it is highly unlikely they would have become loose, let alone disconnected.

If you are unsure what the wires are, it would be better to get a technician to look at it.

You can continue to wait for a reply here, but do make sure that you identify the wires correctly before plugging them in

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok thanks! ill probably have a look inside and just check there all in properly as i did put them in myself and might of not put them in correctly.

if i still can't get it to work ill have to take it to a technician as you said, probably take it to micro direct as i bought all my parts from there so they might do it for free for me :tazz:

thanks keith!