Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INBOX appeared on Desktop

• Please log in to reply

jadag

jadag

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi All :)

While installing an old copy of Corel Word, it also installed an Inbox on my desktop. :) I think this is Microsoft Messenger.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it. It doesn't show up in msconfig's startup listing and I can't find the "exe" file which launches it. Clicking on "properties" only launches it.

OS = Windows 98 SE

Thanks in anticipation .... :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Is it Microsoft Messenger that you want to remove? If so you can do this from Control Panel > Add/Remove.

jadag

jadag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the interest. I eventually solved the problem but just for your own interest (in case someone else has this problem) here is more info:

The program is called Windows Messaging 4.0 for Windows 95
It is used to send messages on a network

1. There is no "delete" available when right-clicking on the icon
2. It can't be dragged to the Recycle Bin (just pops back to where it was)
3. There is nothing in the ADD/REMOVE listings
4. A search of my HD only shows my Outlook Express "Inbox"
5. Like "My Computer" nothing appears in C:\Windows\Desktop

I can't access the "properties" of this icon - it launches a program window when I "right-click" on the icon and select "properties"

It was installed by an old version of WordPerfect I found on a CD that came an old PC. It was in a folder named "Corel" and I thought it might be a CorelDraw program.

I started it's "Setup.exe" but it said that it needed to install a Microsoft program (I can't remember if it specified "M$ Messenger") I just clicked OK and it installed - from some cab file on my hard disk. However I aborted the installation when I realized that it was a WordPerfect program and not a CorelDraw program.

It was Corel WordPerfect Suite 8

According to this article at

http://vlaurie.com/c...s/messenger.htm

it can only be removed in XP not W98 :)

The Solution

Sometimes the answers right there in front of one but because it's so obvious, it's not seen!

OK ... here's what I finally did

1. from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
Desktop\NameSpace]
delete the entry {00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} This removes the "Inbox" icon from the desktop.

2. Go to c:\programs\windows messaging ... and delete the folder. This removes the program.

3. Run a registry repair program (I have Registry Mechanic) to get rid of any issues as a result of (2) above.

Sorry I didn't find that folder earlier - and that I put everyone to all this trouble. :) Never-the-less, I learned from all you.

Thank You - Consider this problem solved.
=======================================
Update 17 October 2006

Thanks to an alert from Wendy M, I found another icon called "Mail" in my Control Panel which is also connected to the Windows Messaging install.

I removed that too by deleting the file C:\Windows\System\MLCFG32.CPL

Thanks Wendy! :tazz:

Edited by jadag, 17 October 2005 - 08:32 AM.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback :tazz:

jadag

jadag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Please see the update on my post:

Update 17 October 2006

Thanks to an alert from Wendy M, I found another icon called "Mail" in my Control Panel which is also connected to the Windows Messaging install.

I removed that too by deleting the file C:\Windows\System\MLCFG32.CPL

Thanks Wendy!