Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD writer not reading any type of disc

• Please log in to reply

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have a hp dvd writer 400c and for some reason after i got a new hard drive. It sees the drive but everytime i put in a disc it ask me to enter a disc? when i right click on my computer and go to the device manager. theres no ! mark there. i tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. i have the lastest drives too. If anyone could help id be very greatful.

thanks,
Foo

Edited by Chuckfoo, 23 September 2005 - 10:10 PM.

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Eliminate the dumb possiblities first:

The new HDD and the DVD-RW aren't both set to master or slave on the same IDE channel are they?

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
nope

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Chuckfoo,

Let's get some more info before we start.

has the hp dvd writer 400c ever worked?

did it ever work with the new drive?

has any other hardware been added/removed prior to the dvd writer not working?

has any burning software been added/removed prior to the dvd writer not working?

were there any guest users(nephew, neighbor, ...) on the PC prior to the dvd writer not working?

are you using a new brand of disk or new package of disks?

have you tried anything else besides reinstalling the drivers?

please check the settings in your dvd software.

we will proceed based on the info in your next post.

bdlt

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK I 400c worked perfect before the new hard drive. It never work with the hard drivd in now.No other hard ware has been removed. No burn software has been removed, and no guest users. I have use the same disc that worked before. I have reinstalled the dvd drive and it didnt work.

Thanks,
FOO

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's do a couple of things with the IDE cable connected to the drive:
1. make sure the cable is fully seated - it may have backed off slightly when the hard drive was installed. reboot and test.
2. are there devices on the othe IDE cable? if not, try the dvd there. if there are devices on the other IDE cable, disconnect one and connect the DVd. make sure one device is set to master and one is set to slave. reboot, let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers, then test.

if it is still not working, let's try a couple of registry cleaners. uninstall the drivers first, then run each cleaner. reboot, let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers, then test.

run the back up option http://www.ccleaner.com

http://www.tune-up.com

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Ok

1. The IDE Cables are fully seated

2. There is also a cd rom connected to the IDE cable. and it was set as slave.

I own tune up and i used it to clean the registry and i also usd ccleaner. I notice that on tune up when i went to system info both cd and dvd-rw it shows them both as cd/dvd rom drives?

Thanks,
FOO

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
we have a hardware option and another registry option.

2. are there devices on the othe IDE cable? if not, try the dvd there. if there are devices on the other IDE cable, disconnect one and connect the DVd. make sure one device is set to master and one is set to slave. reboot, let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers, then test.

did you try the dvd drive on the other IDE cable? if so, what happened? do you feel comfortable handling hardware? make sure to take electrostatic discharge precautions when inside the PC - avoid touching any open circuitry.

are you comfortable editing the registry or do you know someone who is knowledgable with the registry? if so, we can try to edit the registry. if not, let's try the dvd drive on the other IDE cable.

by the way, what is the IDE configuration on your PC? hard drive on one IDE cable? cdrom(slave) and dvd(master) on the other?

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I didnt try the dvd drivw on the other IDE cable. I feel pretty comfortable handling hardware, I'm fine editing the registry.

The cable config is that theres one IDE cable for the hard drive, and then an other for the cdrom(slave) and dvd(master).

thanks,
FOO

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's go with the safer path - the hardware.

1. try the dvd drive on the primary IDE cable jumpered as a slave. uninstall the drivers, power off, then move the dvd. on restart, let windows find 'new' hardware and reinstall the drivers from there.

OR

2. or you could try rejumpering the cdrom and dvd drive. make the cdrom master and the dvd slave. uninstall the drivers, power off, then swap jumpers. on restart, let windows find 'new' hardware and reinstall the drivers from there.

with any luck windows will clean things up without editing the registry.

good luck and be careful with electrostatic discharge.

Advertisements

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OK the first thing i did was put the dvd drive as the slave and booted up and still nothing.

Then i did the cd master dvd slave, and nothing. But when i did this i went to my computer and the cd drive showed the disc andbut the dvd drive said cd-rom.

Then i look at the device manager after i set everything back up as the same as before and the cd drive was on top of the dvd drive?

I dont know if this helps you any, but your help means a lot the reason i want this to save this dvd writer because its the only thing i saved from katrina, and till fema money comes(in 6 months) there no hardware for me.

Thanks,
FOO

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

OK the first thing i did was put the dvd drive as the slave and booted up and still nothing.

was the dvd found when the PC was restarted? and did the drivers reinstall ok?

still nothing

does this mean it won't read disks? could you see it in my computer or device manager? please clarify.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
when i put the dvd drive as the slave it found the dvd drive and everything but it still had the same problem, it would should show up as as the dvd hp 400 drive in davice manager, but in my computer it says cd drive.

When i said still nothing i mean that its was the same as before i moved the dvd rom it around.

if you can see this pic the bia is the real cd drive.dvd.jpg

Also so here is the pic of the device manager.dfd.png

Thanks,
FOO

Edited by Chuckfoo, 28 September 2005 - 07:34 AM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
we could try editing the registry or try downloading new firmware next.

it seems unlikely that the dvd drive would malfunction at the same time the hard drive was replaced, but it is possible. do you have access to another PC? if it works in another PC we can proceed with the registry or firmware. if it doesn't work, then it's most likely a bad drive.

Chuckfoo

Chuckfoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'll try to find a computer to test it on. Sometime soon, and ill come back with the results.

Thanks,
FOO