Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is it overheating?

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I came back from abroad and bought a new dvd writer, memory and a new hard disk. I had to format my computer in order to make my computer into RAID 0 configuration so first i installed all my new hardware and then formatted my computer. After the format i installed all my softwares, games and peripherals (even the new ones; logitech webcam orbit & sandisk 12 in 1 media card reader). Then suddenly my computer started restarting and getting these errors. Is it possible that i'm overusing the power supply. I got a 3.00 Ghz processor wit HT, 2 GB Ram (4x512MB), 4 optical drives; Dvd-rom, Cd-writer, 2 Dvd-writers and now two hard disks connected and i have a 480W power supply.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download Everest Home Edition here

Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor

Post the temperatures

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Motherboard - 42C (108F)
CPU - 50C (122F)
Aux - 41C (106F)
GPU - 56C (133F)
GPU Ambient - 48C (118F)

Cooling Fans :
CPU - 4106RPM
Power Suply - 2437RPM

Oh and btw have a look at the screenshot. Just after installing Everest Home Edition received a warning about that.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Just a quick note on [EVEREST] -

If You have another [PC PROBE] Utility running at same time [EVEREST] is running - [SENSORS] - The Readings are AVERAGED -

Running 2 similar utilities may compromise readings & set off alarms -
It may even show false Fan speeds - Like [000] RPM -

It is like running 2 ANTI VIRUS Applications at same time - They step over/on each other -

Keep them - just run 1 at a time -

PS - How old is PC - How many Fans are running - PS is probably adequate - But Cooling may not be sufficient - after all the expansion -

See Cooling Links - & Browse

http://www.antec.com...ro_cooling.html

http://www.antec.com...IYArticle4.html

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 24 September 2005 - 11:39 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ive got about 5 fans running + processor fan + psu fan + vga card fan...i mean i still need more cooling..wow...ok...pc is about one n half years old...so then what do you reckon i need to do now? I don't think ive even got any free power cables left to attach something new...fans can be attached to the motherboard tho if i need to buy new ones..

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: PC COOLING
Date: 25th Sept-2005
I did not mean you needed MORE cooling - BUT maybe more efficient cooling- 5 Fans may cause [AIR TURBULENCE] - If not positioned or arranged correctly - which would degrade the cooling – MORE & BIGGER is not ALWAYS BETTER – The idea is to have efficient & effective cooling -

COOLING GUIDELINES –
1 - You should have 2 [INTAKE FANS] in front blowing on the Drives – Looks like this area is compacted
and drives are heat sources – and make sure they are secured properly so they can exchange the heat thru the case effectively –
2 – There should be a Positive Airflow that is drawing in from the front vents and flowing towards the rear and EXHAUSTING out the rear vents –
3 – You need to exhaust the air out the rear FASTER than INTAKE – Getting the HOT AIR OUT – Is the NAME of the GAME -
4 – Your [VIDEO CARD FAN] – Try to leave the PCI Slot next to the Video Card FREE – The fan should be drawing AIR INTO CARD – and needs space to breathe-A side Chassis Fan may be a Turbulence factor here ??
5 – CPU Fan should be Positioned so that AIR is be drawn INTO Heat Sink Assembly and forced out the SIDE FINS & then exhausted out by rear fans quickly – PCU FAN should be connected to Motherboard [CPU FAN] Connection correctly – you can adjust the cooling somewhat by/in your BIOS Settings – [HARDWARE MONITOR] – Q-FAN CONTROL – FAN SPEED RATIO – SPEED UP/DOWN RESPONSE TIME RATIO
6 – Power Supply Fans – Bottom Fan should be drawing air in & rear fan should exhaust air out rear of PC – Sometimes these fans have speed control & have extra [FAN CONNECTORS] available for more fans – But are limited to maybe 3 fans –
7 – Side Fans ?? Sometimes TOO MUCH FAN POWER in this area may cause AIR TURBULENCE - Not always - Sometimes it may be better just to have sufficient AIR VENTS & let cooler air be drawn in by the Positive Air Flow - Keep these holes filtered – I use a piece of screen mesh to block Dust – which can be easily cleaned -
8 – Arrange cables & connectors to keep air flow free from obstructions – Use cable ties if needed –
9 – Do not overload the Motherboard [Chassis Fan] Connection – If you have a side fan – it can be connected there – It will be controlled as needed – so as to decrease any turbulence that may be caused – The exhaust fans could be at full speed always – use normal Power Connectors – Usually the Fans today have a [PASS-THRU] Connectors – so you always have a Connector left –
10- Intake fans should be filtered – and cleaned often to keep the dust out – also your chassis should be sealed fairly well – no missing screws or missing panels – Exhaust fan holes should be larger than intake for faster exhausting
11 – Ambient Air is a factor also – Keep as cool as possible – AND leave PC room to breathe – Do not compromise any AIR INTAKE by blocking these vents – Ok to have external fans – but AGAIN be careful not to cause TURBULENCE - And avoid direct fan blowing across intake vents -The EXHAUSTIG Component of PC COOLING is very important – do not compromise by SPACE SAVING & Blocking -
You said your PC is 1 ½ Years old – Maybe you need to clean out CPU Heat Sink Assembly – It usually gets DUST CLOGGED – about this age & this compromises CPU COOLING - more than anything -
You can use the [CLEANING DUSTER] – Just read Directions – DO NOT SHAKE or INVERT CAN – Pressurized Air when turned will become LIQUID – which IS NOT A GOOD THING –
Make sure computer is turned OFF – and UNPLUGGED – Be careful that connections are not disturbed or knocked loose – Also clean chassis from the – dust bunnies - The fins can become so clogged that the fan can be damaged and/or have very little cooling properties –
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 September 2005 - 02:22 PM.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Hey thanks for all the help. I found the root to my problem. It was the new memory i bought. They weren't running stable at the default voltage so i had to increase that.
Thanks again.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Was the [EVEREST] Program/application any help to you?

Jacj123

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ya it allowed me to check out benchmarks for my computer and i got to see my computer's details. It's very very similar to AIDA32 btw.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts

Ya it allowed me to check out benchmarks for my computer and i got to see my computer's details. It's very very similar to AIDA32 btw.

View Post

They are similar because the project leader of AIDA32 now works at Lavalys.