Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD... not sure

• Please log in to reply

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
ok my computer sometimes randomly restarts and a blue page flashes up ( very fast ) and then my computer restarts.

i did not think much of this because it my only happen every weeks or so.

but yesterday a blue screen came up and stayed on and said something ( just a load of rubbish to me )

but then after that when ever i try to play CS:S it does the quick blue flash and resets.

im about to unleash a hammer on this computer, please help.

Edited by customcomp, 24 September 2005 - 04:45 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or even the power supply. You need to investigate each one to rule it out as the cause. Are all of your fans working? Is the inside of the case full of dust or dirt? Start there. You can also view the event log for possible clues as to the cause. It may identify some hardware that may have a driver problem. Go to start, my computer, right click manage, and view the event log. Look for those with the red x at the time of the crash. You can right click and view properties for details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible cause and fix.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

customcomp

customcomp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or even the power supply.  You need to investigate each one to rule it out as the cause.  Are all of your fans working?  Is the inside of the case full of dust or dirt?  Start there.  You can also view the event log for possible clues as to the cause.  It may identify some hardware that may have a driver problem.  Go to start, my computer, right click manage, and view the event log.  Look for those with the red x at the time of the crash.  You can right click and view properties for details.  You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for possible cause and fix.

View Post

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

View Post

its not that my computer is clean, and my settings are all ready set to NOT automatically restart.

what i need to no now is, is there a problem with steam or CS:S as it only crashs when i load that up.

similar problems are happening on my brothers computers aswell.

do any STAFF play CS:S or have steam, if so is this happening with you aswell.