Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Neighbor using my wireless ?

• Please log in to reply

cpar4m

cpar4m

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got up in the middle of the night and noticed that the lights on my wireless router and DSL modem were flashing like they do when I'm online...only problem is that neither of my computers were even turned on. How can I tell if someone else was / is connecting through my wireless router. I don't live in a crowded area, my neighbors houses on both sides are at least 100 feet away...
Is there a log I can check on my wireless router that can tell me if someone was connected ? Is it possible that my wireless router signal is reaching all the way to my neighbors house ? I have a Linksys WRT56G v2.2 does anyone know the range on this router ? I know it somewhat depends on the environmnet, but no matter where I am in my house the signal strength says "excellent"

Thanks for your thoughts

Advertisement

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
you check the log. The best way is setup security. this page may help,

wireless setup
Wireless stops working while the connection is good Wireless Security. How to fix wireless connection issues. 1. Make sure all wireless devices are using ...
http://www.chicagote...et/wireless.htm

twallace0

twallace0

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Another thing you can do is setup your network so that only the MAC addresses of the computers you use in your house can access the network. Since you have Linksys, open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
It should open the settings for your router.
Click on Wireless and click on Wireless MAC Filter in the subheader that appears.
Click Enable, and Permit only listed PCs to access the network and then click on Edit MAC filter list.
Type in the MAC addresses of each computer on your network and save the settings. You should be set. If you need help finding the MAC addresses, let me know.

Advertisement