Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer dosnt/does turn on

• Please log in to reply

Puppet616

Puppet616

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i just got my new microtel AMD 1.5 sempron..i changed the proccesor to a AMD Duron 2.4 and the computer would turn on but id get no screen and the lite that shows the system thinking was not flashing..so i put the Sempron 1.5 back in there and it does the same thing :tazz: just wanted to see if nebody could help b4 i over pay a computer tech to help

Advertisements

computermaker

computermaker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
it could be alot of things did it work before u put in the 2.4 duron also was it compaitable with your mobo? because if your computer worked before u update the processor u could of fried the mobo if hte 2.4 wasnt compatible even tho it would fit in the socket also a bad chip could also fried the mobo so it could be a few things

Edited by computermaker, 24 September 2005 - 03:14 PM.

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
maybe it does not get power

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Do you happen to know what the make & model of your motherboard is please? It will make helping you easier if I know.

If the board isn't compatible (or was jumpered incorrectly) for the duron cpu, its possible you may have damaged the duron but unlikely you have damaged the motherboard as a result of that.

When you removed/reinstalled the original CPU, did you replace the thermal compound between the cpu & heatsink before powering it back up? If you didn't, I suggest you do not attempt to power the system on again until this is done. If you don't know the exact procedure for doing this, let me know & I will talk you through it.