Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W2Kpro-Explorer SEARCH On Drive C won't work.

• Please log in to reply

Et Al

Et Al

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My OS is Windows 2000 pro.

Explorer SEARCH will work for any drive but "C." This forces me to use FIND in hopes of finding files I'm looking for. I find it baffling that SEARCH will work for any of the other drives, but just will not perform a search for drive C.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could you please refine what you mean by "explorer search" and "find"

And when you say it does not work, what does not work? It does not find anything, or the feature is somehow unavailable?

Et Al

Et Al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I click START > SEARCH (or R-click START > EXPLORER > SEARCH) the search function is unable to locate any files for Drive-C. It will work for any other drive but the C-drive.

When I enter a filename (doesn't matter if "*" is used or not) I always get an immediate response "Search is complete. There are no results to display."

Help?

Et Al

Et Al

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If this will help, someone who I thought was a friend was caught stealing from me. He was trying to set up my computer for remote access (failed) when I threw him out. I immediately changed all passcodes, just in case. My McAfee service is showing me that he is still trying to access my computer from the outside, but can't get in. So I suspect he did something prevent me from searching my C: drive and find any files he put on there. I haven't found any new programs and I have my setting so hidden files are displayed.

Is there a way to restore my SEARCH function?

Thx.