Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why does this happen?

• Please log in to reply

smrtypntz7667

smrtypntz7667

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Whenever I turn on my computer my monitor doesn't "register" what I mean is , from a cold start I turn my monitor on first, (I have that red/blue/black box thing with spanish words written in it going up and down on my screen) but when I turn on my computer the monitor stays like that. I have to shut down my computer and wait a few seconds and turn it back on again. I have to do this like 3 or 4 times for the monitor too "register" windows. I hope you all can understand what I'm trying to say. I upgraded my video card a few weeks back but the card that Gateway sent me wasn't compatible with my pc so I had to exchange it for a 4x AGP card (the other one was 8x) I'm going to be getting another card around the first of the month that is a PCI card cause something overheated last night and I have read somewhere that the card I have (GeForce2 MX400 ) has a tendency to over heat, But I started getting this problem after I install the other card that was an 8x AGP card. Do you think that it screwed up my motherboard? Can anyone give me some ideas what to do?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, when you start your PC, and the monitor stays blank, are you certain it is on? Do you here the Windows startup sound?

What you describe could very well be a failing power supply. A PSU supplies three different voltages--12, 5 and 3.3.

If the 12 and 5 rails are working, but the 3.3 is not, you will get lights and motors (fans, drives) spinning, but no video or motherboard activity

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi
Read the article below on AGP 8X and 4x.
http://www.neoseeker...s/kb/10,63.html

Reinsert the video card in the slot and reinstall teh drivers. Possible the slot is damaged while upgrading the video card.