Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Display Nightmare--SP2?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a GeForce FX 5200 display adapter, and a CTX S521A monitor. With SP2 installed, everytime I started the computer, the display refuses to work properly, looking like something from the Safe Mode (large, crude). If I go into computer properties, uninstall the GeForce adapter, restart, it will look find.

I've updated to the newest drivers. Nothing.

With Windows Professional now installed, I do not know who to change this. It works better if Windows doesn't even recognize it. Then it works properly.

I'm somewhat technical, but this one has me stumped.

Any help?

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download driver cleaner pro from here:

Install it.

Download the latest (or in your case, use the original) driver for your videocard.

Start > Control Panel, choose add/remove applet

Remove any drivers or utlities for your card.

Reboot into safe mode, by tapping f8 key at startup, about once a second...you will be given a text mode menu....choose safe mode

Run driver cleaner pro and select the video driver you had from the drop down menu and let driver cleaner wipe out all the remaining files from the uninstall.

reboot into normal mode...cancel the hardware installation wizard.

Use the driver setup routine you downloaded above to reinstall the driver.