Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system down

• Please log in to reply

porsche

porsche

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was removing things in the Add/Remove section of the control panel and by doing so made my computer unusable.

when I turn on my computer I get my background in real mode, but immediately a message pops up and it says:

Error Start Program

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL, was not found.

after that pops up another thing pops up which says:

Error loading explorer.exe
You must reinstall windows.

I went out yesterday and bought windows XP Full version -not an upgrade.

I want to install it, but can't.

I cannot do real mode because I get those pop ups and then the computer freezes and the same thing happens in safe mode.

the only thing that I can get is command prompt only-at the start up screen when I hold down ctrl when turning on the computer.

At command prompt only I typed D:\setup.exe
What it said was:

Invalid drive specification.

It does access the floppy drive though when I do A:\setup.exe
this doesn't help me though because I didn't create a start up disk.

I did download boot software on to a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com, but it did not work. I had the disk in the computer in the disk drive and turned on the computer and it said:

Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready.

I tried doing command prompt only and accessing the disk by typing a:\start windows with cd-rom support and it said:

This program cannot be run in dos mode.

Can’t get bios screen to switch cd-rom to first drive and if I did would it say cannot install windows xp in command prompt only mode?

Immediately when I turn on the computer it flashes the biostar logo screen and then windows 98 logo screen then AVG virus scan then windows 98 logo screen again then real mode starts and then those two error messages pop up and then the computer freezes.

Keep in mid all I wan to do is install windows XP, but do not have access to real mode or safe mode.

Any suggestions will help. Please be as detailed as possible though, for I have no computer knowledge or experience.

please help.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Hi porsche. Welcome to GTG. :tazz: Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide. Also see this post.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.