Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

URL ADDRESSES

• Please log in to reply

Kermit

Kermit

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
There are many occasions when I cannot open URL address links. The mouse image changes to a hand, as is normal for those links that are successfully transferred, but nothing else happens. This is not evident in GEEKS to GO and many other web pages, but it quite common for address links in my Email Inbox within Outlook Express. I expect I have an incorrect Script setting, but I am not sure. Win XP Pro, SP2. OE version 6. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
some links or all links in OE

What version of outlook express?

disable popup blockers (if you have some)

It could also be a file that requires a hotfix (see here)

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=841793

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try holding the control key down when you clickon a link in OE. If it opens right up, your settings are wrong. Post back.

Johanna

Kermit

Kermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Czarina:
Holding the Control key down while I try to open has no effect. I tested this on the Geeks link to this page. Thanks for the suggestion.

gerryf:
Attachments in OE open, but apparently all hyperlinks do not. I have to copy and paste addresses onto my browser address line to open them.

I have OE Express version 6.0.2900.2180

I tried disabling the Pop-Up Blocker in OE with no effect. I'm not sure if I have others.

I am hesitant to employ Hotfix 841793 because Microsoft says do not try this if the referenced error messages do not appear. I have no error messages.

I appreciate the comeback.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Anything here help?
http://support.micro...;EN-US;q281679

This one?
http://support.micro...1&Product=winxp

Johanna

Kermit

Kermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Czarina:

The links looked great and addressed the issue but, unfortunately, did not improve the situation.

The first link suggested one or more of seven .dll files may be missing, damaged or improperly registered. While trying to run these files I received a message that I may damage my computer if I try to change .dll files, so I cancelled out.

The second link suggested one or more of 5 .dll files (many similar to the first link) may be missing, damaged or improperly registered and suggested the same fix in the Run program. I followed their instructions and received messages that all five .dll registrations succeeded.

I'm not a big fan of the MS Restore feature, but I'm considering using it since I didn't have this problem at one time. I'm not sure when this problem first occurred.

The last time my computer acted strangely I could not open the MS Help and Support program, couldn't maximize the screen in MS Pinball and had other minor problems. By re-formatting the drive I was able to correct these problems, but I consider this to be a drastic solution.

I appreciate your help.

Kermit

Kermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just a word of advice and update to all those who tried to assist me in this matter, as well as anyone else who could use the information:

When I installed the latest update of Yahoo Internet Messenger I was presented by Yahoo with a Search toolbar and other 'goodies' in my browser. This toolbar had no obvious uninstall file. There is an interesting article about this at:

http://news.com.com/..._3-5845886.html

By doing an Internet search (Google, of course) I was able to determine many people were disappointed with Yahoo for giving them this 'gift'. It was suggested the fix would be to uninstall all Google components and then re-install Yahoo IM, using Custom Install instead of Typical Install. That gives you the option of not installing the toolbar and other gifts. I tried this but when I rebooted the toolbar was still there.

In desperation I sent an email to Yahoo MySearch Customer Service, asking them if there was an uninstall file for this program. To my amazement they answered me and presented the following URL address:

http://help.funwebpr...all/fiUnins.exe

I tried it and it works. No more Yahoo MySearch Toolbar and now I can open the Interlinks in my OE Inbox. :tazz:

Hopes this helps someone.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you for that valuable piece of info....Yahoo toolbar does have a popup blocker so I suspect that was the issue...I was going to ask for a hijack log but I had lost track of your thread.

glad you got it worked out