Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Editing Software

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hi there,

As this is a new thread I thought That I may Start a Thread about the Best Video Editing Software's.

Thanks For Helping Us Out :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
For a school project I used Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 I liked it a lot, rendering was quicker than other version of Premiere that I've used.
For general goofing around, I use Microsoft Movie Maker. It's simple enough that it doesn't take long to figure stuff stuff, yet has the options when I want to make a video of my friends goofing around.
Overall, I prefer to use Premiere. It just has the otions I want/need when I have a real job to do.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
sony veags 4 - 5

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
I mainly use pinnacle Studio 8 for home use...It's nice and easy to use, the only critisim I would have is that working on audio can get tireing. There doesn't appear(?) to be any way to expand tracks so it gets fiddily when adjusting levels manually.

For professional use or if you have the money, I reckon you can't go wrong with one of Avid's products.

rmurphy - Just out of interest does premiere pro 1.5 have "real-time" preiview when playing back a sequence. i.e can you see what transistions, effects etc look like without rendering....It's just I have used earlier versions of premiere which don't have that feature :tazz:

Edited by Jayzeee, 28 September 2005 - 03:39 PM.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Jayzeee, from what I remember (it's been a year since I used Premiere last) it did have real time preview...and if it didn't, it took a second to render what it needed.

-Ryan

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
yes, premeire pro 1.5 does have real time preview, thank god lol, i remeber the older versions it was a nightmare!

Jayzeee

Jayzeee

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

i remeber the older versions it was a nightmare!

Yes... a time consuming headache :tazz:

I would imagine all relatively new software would include this feature :)

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
I use adobe premier pro!

Its great although expensive.

Have a look on ebay for video editing software if you want to buy some. :tazz:

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
For years I have used Windows Movie Maker, the free software that comes shipped with Windows. Ok, it has its limitations, but for free it really can be quite powerful. I have created many family/vacation vids with it, including snazzy titles, music, transitions etc. Just make sure you use Windows Updates to get the latest version. The biggest pain is not being able to export straight to DVD (MPEG2) format. You have to export as either DV-AVI or as various types of .wmv files. Therefore, you have to convert these to MPEG2 prior to authoring to DVD (I use TMPGEnc for this). Oh, and check out the Windows Mover Makers website for great tutorials, tips and forums.

I'm now working on a Wedding video for a friend and I've reached the limitations of WMM, so I'm starting to use Adobe Premier Pro v1.5. I must say its a very detailed and comprehensive piece of software. I was rather confused when I first opened it as there is a lot of features :tazz: . After doing some tutorials and borrowing some video tuts off a friend, I'm starting to get the hang of it. For serious editors who need precise control and up to 99 video + audio tracks, then this is for you.... otherwise I'd stick with WMM for starters.

Just my $0.02 :)

Steven24

Steven24

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I use Magix Video Editor Pro it's not so complicated as others. The only problems I had were converting the files to MPEG

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

This is a great question. For the entry level home user, I feel there are two great options to take a look at in the sub $99 range and will give you the power to do pretty all the tasks you can think of at the moment.

1) Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 6 [Homepage]
- This the entry level version of the very popular (and my favorite) Sony Vegas editing suite. It features the "trimmer" window, in my opinion, the most useful addition to video editing workflow I have seen for video editing. It is a type of sub-editing window where you can go through a raw clip, choose parts you would like to use and can then drag and add those to the main timeline. It is amazingly useful and you will wonder how you got by without it previously. Includes a DVD creation and burning utility (DVD 6). I would highly recommend Sony Vegas Studio.

2) Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0
The entry version of Adobe Premiere Pro and also a solid video editor. Arguably has better templates and menu creation than Movie Studio, I feel the ease of use and speed of editing in Vegas in superior.

Hope that helps,
Tom