Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WINDOWS XP

• Please log in to reply

DanaTx

DanaTx

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to completely clean off my hard drive and start all over again to speed up my system? Can someone help me with this topic???? :tazz:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you decide to do a clean install, make sure your boot order is cd first, insert your cd and follow the prompts. Choose a full format (not the quick one) when asked.
http://www.winsupers...xp_sg_clean.asp

Of course, you will want to make sure you have current back ups of programs and data first.

Johanna

DanaTx

DanaTx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
My house burned down last year so I lost all of my disk that went with this computer. I have since bought a laptop can I use that disk with this computer? Thanks for the quick reply!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

My house burned down last year so I lost all of my disk that went with this computer.  I have since bought a laptop can I use that disk with this computer?  Thanks for the quick reply!

View Post

Howdy:

No you can't.. One XP license per system is all you are allowed..

You will need to purchase another XP cd and license for that system!!

Murray

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
No, unfortunately, you can't use the other computer's disk. You can either buy a new one or call MS and throw yourself at their mercy for a new one (but I wouldn't hold my breath because you probably don't have receipts etc, huh?) To tweak your existing install, head to the malware forum for a clean up.
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 24 September 2005 - 04:41 PM.

DanaTx

DanaTx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'll just go buy a new one, when I get it do I just follow the instructions on the disk?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Take a good look at the link I posted in #2 so that you know exactly what to expect. It has screenshots and explanations.

Johanna