Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clone DVD/Nero DVDExpress 3.0.1.18 for DL use?

• Please log in to reply

newbie geek

newbie geek

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I use Movie Factory 3 with my BenQ 162I (16X) dual layer in my conversion of my VHS tapes from analog to digital that are 60 minutes in length and am extremely happy.
Now I want to use the Movie Factory 3 to convert from analog to digital and end up with the usual process of an MPEG on my HD.
The length thought of the VHS tape is 180 minutes and Movie Factory 3 can't handle the burn of this size of disc.
So I am looking at using a Verbatim DL and I wondered if either Clone DVD or Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.18 can possibly burn a DL?
Otherwise I have to purchase the Movie Factory Standard 4.0?
Does anyone know???
Appreciate comments.
I don't want to get into a proggy that I have to make inexperienced guessing at settings and so that is why I would like to use a proggy that is very user friendly.
Thankyou

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Hello newbie geek.
The Clone DVD website deos indicate that it supports DL DVD's.
As for Nero, I know that the OEM version supports Dual Layer. I searched teh Nero site for info about Vision Express, but could not find any. Version 2 has no mention of it. Version 3 might, but I cannot tell you that it definitely whether it does or not. I would check the product manual or the box.
I would go with DVD Clone. They offer a 14 day trial, so I would try to get everything done before you go to burn so you dont have the trial expire on you. Once the trial has expired, the cost of the program is 100 USD

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Newbie Geek,
I’m not sure what you mean when you say:

Now I want to use the Movie Factory 3 to convert from analog to digital and end up with the usual process of an MPEG on my HD.

What Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2-4 does is convert a digital AVI (for example) file to a digital MPEG file.
Unless your doing something else that I don’t know about, to convert from analogue to digital, first you need the VHS tape (which is analogue) then you should capture it to your computer as an AVI file which makes it digital.

As for compressing and fitting more on the dvd, in Movie Factory there is a button on the bottom left (once in the section where you import files) called "Project Settings". Click "change MPEG settings and you can lower the kbps to allow more footage to be on the DVD.

But if your looking for 180min on it, its going to start to look nasty (because of the compression), if you can live with that, that’s cool. I would just make 2 DVD's 60min each…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok I may as well go over how I would get something off VHS onto DVD for everyone else to look at (there is more then 1 way):

What you need:

1. TV. (Not required but it helps)
2. VCR Player.
3a. Mini DV Camera with red, white and yellow inputs connected to the computer via firewire.
or
3b. Red, white and yellow (video, left sound, right sound) capture card on the computer.
4. DV Video capture software (i use premiere pro 1.5).
5. Ulead DVD movie maker.

My Method Steps:
1. Put the VHS in with a signal (RWY) being sent out to the TV so you can watch it.
2. Have a signal (RWY) coming out of the output of the TV into the video camera which is set to playback mode. (your TV might not have an output signal).
3. Connect the video camera to the computer with firewire.
4. Load premeire.
5. go to the capture menu in premiere.
6. Press play on the VCR and hit capture on premiere!
And there you have analogue being converted to digital. All you have to do now is save it as an AVI, (at DV quality) then import it into dvd movie factory and compress and burn it!

Another method:
1. Connect the VHS player to the capture card on the computer (red, white, yellow).
2. Run your video capture software and press capture it (the video).
And there you have analogue being converted to digital. all you have to do now is save it as an AVI, (at DV quality) then import it into dvd movie factory and compress and burn it!

Go for the demo of version 4 :tazz:

newbie geek

newbie geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thx for the detailed response. I am sorry that I don't explain my process of doing my 4.7 analog to digital conversions very well.
I use your second method.

I have seen in one forum that Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.18 allegedly will burn DVD DL's.

I do have that proggy on a CD, however have not installed it, as I wanted to make certain it would do my 180 concert VHS tapes that I have.

You are probably right in recommending the trial of Movie Maker 4 and I only need the Standard as all I am going to use the proggy for is to clone a VHS tape.

Does anyone know if Movie Maker 4 Standard is as user friendly as I find the Movie Factory 3 SE. The OEM that came with my Hauppauge PVR USB 2 that I am so pleased with.

Has anyone used the Movie Factory 4 Standard???

Kind Regards, a Noob at analog digital, but an avid reader and searcher on the net!!