Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've done a very throrough virus scan and went through all the steps of making sure my computer was completely clean but I still have problems.... The malware forum told me to check here....

I downloaded the security updates for windows 2000 and haven't had a random restart lately but I still have connection problems....... Sometimes it takes one or two tries to get connected to the internet and then after IE will give me a page unavailable message.... I disconnect and then usually it's alright....

Then sometimes my screensaver like freezes up...... It won't animate..... I get a physical memory dump blue screen all the time......... and sometimes I'll get a black screen to which if I don't press ctrl+alt+del I won't be able to do anything.........

anyone know what might be wrong?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect quite a bit, but we need to start with the STOP error you get when you get the blue screen

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Aight... I don't remember the exact message but I get some numbers and then

Beginning physical memory dump.................... And then I shutdown restart and everything is cool........... It happens every so often.... Once every couple of days I'd say

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
those numbers are IMPORTANT...we need them

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well hopefully I have one soon lol......... I'm using windows 2000 by the way....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can likely get them from eventviewer if you know when the error occured.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications

I am loathe to suggest this because it always freaks people out how many errors they find here, many of which are normal.

Better to copy down the bsod STOP error

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here's the reports of the dump from the log........

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x989b9abc, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xfc7e0526). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini091405-01.dmp.

And Here's the log report of when I try to connect and get timed out

The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.

Edited by awesomesteveh, 25 September 2005 - 12:02 AM.

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello I still need help.......... Please help

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
does your computer have all the necessary patches and updates?

google searches suggest that it has to do with the tcp/ip protocol but as far as I can see, the problem is fixed in the newest service pack

when the blue screen comes up there should also be a bit where it tells you the name of what is causing the bsod. usually a file ending in .sys. even with the specific code, bsod's could still be caused by anything so it will be easier to diagnose if you can post back with the file name.

Edited by Thef0rce, 04 October 2005 - 06:10 AM.

awesomesteveh

awesomesteveh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here we go

The filename is 3c1807pd.sys

Thanks for the help in advance

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
US robotics pci fax modem. you only have dial-up? if you have dsl and don't need this, I suggest you uninstall it. seems to cause lots of people problems.

http://www.epinions....ent_80708669060

if you do need this, look for a new driver and replace the old one.

Edited by Thef0rce, 07 October 2005 - 01:31 PM.