Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Just installed XP from ME

• Please log in to reply

hastur

hastur

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just installed XP from ME and I, Mr. know enough just to get myself in trouble, cannot seem to locate a lot of the programs I had on here(anti-virus, games, etc...).

How would I either: A)make my desktop look like it did so I can access the programs I wish, or B)'import' or carry over from ME the programs?

I know they are there...

I wouldn't respect any answers unless they make brutal fun of me in the process... :) :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi hastur...Welcome to G2G!

No need to make "brutal fun" of you...I've worked on computers for years and it still amazes me how a computer will do just exactly what you tell it to do no matter what you want it to do..... :tazz:

Do the programs you're looking for show up in the start menu? (When you click Start and point to All Programs..) If they are there, you can Right Click on the application and point to "Send To" then choose "Desktop (create shortcut)"

If they are not there, you can use the same basic technique by navigating to the application in the "Program Files" folder, opening the application's folder, and right clicking on the program's icon.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 September 2005 - 05:44 PM.

hastur

hastur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's another thing, when I started up for the first time there were no icons on the desktop. I've looked around, and cannot find the 'program folder' you speak of.

I appreciate your help! This place is great and glad it exists. In the early '90's, I went to tech school and learned COBOL, and was pretty proficient in DOS, win3.1, and Novel. My career went down another road, and lost all relative knowledge. The computer world sped past me. I think I'm going to get into a A++ class or something just to catch up with you current wizards!

Thanks again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Much depends on HOW you installed XP on top of ME.....if they are not visible in Start >>ALL PROGRAMS, I fear you did not perform an upgrade, but a full installation.

How did you do this? (boot with xp disk? run from within ME?)

If you performed an install, as opposed to upgrade, you likely will not be able to restore these programs to functional status

Windows XP default hides all the icons other than the recyle bin. To get a few basics, right click the DESKTOP, choose PROPERTIES, choose the DESKTOP tab, and then choose CUSTOMIZE DESKTOP, and check the icons you wish present on the desktop (my computer, my documents, etc....)

hastur

hastur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I upgraded from the XP disk. I have found some programs(games, etc...) and put the shortcut on the desktop. I put McAfee on the computer yesterday to get rid of any problems, than did the upgrade. I now cannot find the .exe file for McAfee to either run it or find a way to add it to my toolbar. I think I'll just have to do some major exploring tomorrow.

I will be torn for time tomorrow as my fantasy football team will have some tough competition and I'll be glued to the games. Any further hints/help would be great!

This place rocks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Should be something like these

C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\=program files