Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Device Installer Error" message..HELP

• Please log in to reply

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I plug in my USB Logitech cam, and XP does the Plug&Play thing, first it dects a USB DEVICE...then it detects again and its the Logitech cam. Anyways when I try to install it, and the drivers. This message always comes up DEVICE INSTALLER ERROR :"windows could not load the installer for Image. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance" . I can't close the box , until I CTRL +ALT + DELETE it . Same when I try to uninstall the software. Same message appears. Please help. Thank you .

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
drivers from a cd, or from thelogitech site?

Try updated drivers first. It sounds like a badly written .inf file "could not load the installer for IMAGE...I think IMAGE is a variable name normally used for DLLs and the installation instructions (the inf file), has something askew...this is a total guess, I admit, based on one other problem I ran into that was somewhat similar

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
from CD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try getting the drivers from the logitech site

http://www.logitech......dex.cfm&path=

Choose your location in case the drivers are different (this happens if they only release the model in your country)

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I didn't find any drivers on the site. Just software for my specific camera.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which model camera have you

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
ClickSmart 310, its on the site. But all they have is software from the cd

Edited by seattle2005er, 25 September 2005 - 12:31 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://logitech-en-e...li=&p_topview=1

The software download will likely include the drivers

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Well I followed the instrutions. Downloaded the new software. Did the cleanboot. ANd this time it let me install the drivers and everything, but again,when I plug in the camera it detects it and gives me the same message again . When I open up the Logitech software, it says camera unplugged. No idea whats going on.

Edited by seattle2005er, 25 September 2005 - 01:51 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check for Other Running Video Applications
If another video application is running, the camera driver might still be in use by that application. Examples of other video applications are Yahoo! Messenger, MSN, Logitech VideoCall or Windows Movie Maker. If another video application is running, exit out of it and then start the application you wish to use with your camera. Keep in mind that only one application can use the camera at a time.

Install the Latest Version of DirectX
Before continuing with diagnostics, please make sure you are using the latest release of DirectX.

Unplug the camera.
Uninstall the camera software using Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.
Click "Start", "Settings", and "Control Panel".
Double click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
Highlight the Logitech camera software and click the Add/Remove button. (Change/Remove if you are using Windows XP.)
Install the latest DirectX version from Microsoft.
Reinstall the camera software.
Verify That the Device Has Been Loaded in the Device Manager
When Windows correctly detects the Logitech video camera, it will load 2-3 entries in the Device Manager, depending on the camera being used. Please do the following:

Press the CTRL, ALT and DEL keys simultaneously to bring up the Task Manger.
End task on LVCOMS.EXE.
Open the Device Manager and remove the camera.
Click the "Start" button, "Settings", then "Control Panel". (For Windows XP and Windows 2000, click "Start", then "Control Panel.")
Double click on the "System" icon.
Click on the "Device Manager" tab. Windows XP and Windows 2000 users, click on the Hardware Tab, then the Device Manager button.
Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Imaging Device". A properly installed camera will load an entry in this section entitled "Logitech USB Video Camera". If this entry does not exist, or is listed with a yellow exclamation mark (!), remove it and proceed to the next step.
Next click on the plus (+) sign next to "Universal serial bus controller".
Remove the entry for "Logitech USB Camera" and proceed to the next step.
(For cameras with a built in Microphone.) Click on the plus (+) sign next to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers".
Remove the entry for "Logitech USB Microphone" and proceed to the next step.
Unplug the Camera
Delete the Driver Folder and Reinstall the Driver
For the following step, please have the Logitech camera software CD readily available. Use the instructions that apply to the software version your camera uses.

ImageStudio 7.3.0 software
NOTE: the QCDriver folder might have a number at the end of the name (E.g., QCDriver2); delete this folder.

Double click on My Computer.
Open the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\
Right click on the QCDriver (or QCDriver#) folder and select "Delete."
Finally, reinstall the driver for the camera by doing the following:

Insert the Logitech ImageStudio 7.3.0 camera software CD in the CD-ROM drive. Click Cancel if the auto-run starts.
Double click on "My Computer" on the Windows Desktop. When the window opens, right click on the CD-ROM and choose "Explore."
Double click on the QCDriver folder pertaining to the QCDriver folder you deleted in the instructions above.
Double click on SETUP.EXE to reinstall the driver

Note: You may encounter a signature error during this process; just simply bypass this warning.

Advertisements

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Yea I tried all that, same stuff. When I try to uninstall the drivers from the Imaging Device and the USB tab. They both give me the" Device Installer Error " message.

Also when I go to device manager and go to Logitech Cam properties, it says device is working properly. But then there are 2 USB Devices under the IMAGING DEVICES tab and they both have the yellow exlemetion points and when I try to uninstall them the message appears again " DEVICE INSTALLER ERROR"

Edited by seattle2005er, 25 September 2005 - 02:41 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check you have the latest version of Windows Installer

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Check with Microsoft Update

Then ask Logitech about this, they don't have much else in their knowledge base

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
okay, I did it. I installed the installer. Now what

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to Microsoft Update for all the critical ones, also any applicable optional ones to make sure Windows has everything it needs to load this

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Try the re-install, though it would be best to go from post 10 to make sure it installs from " new "

seattle2005er

seattle2005er

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
yea it looks like I already had everything, no new things to install.