Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player license acquiring

• Please log in to reply

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello

I have a friend abroad who is sending me audio files ripped from her audio cds using WMP. Unfortunately, she used that option of protection when ripping the cds. Still, when trying to play those .wma files on my computer WMP starts my default Internet browser (I'm using Firefox) and goes to a Microsoft web page where I should be able to download a license for the file. I click that button and nothing happens. I also tried Opera with copy/paste of the address Firefox was showing in the navigation toolbar and it seems to work (I get a message that a license was downloaded to my computer). But when I press play in WMP nothing's changed: Firefox pops up again and goes to the same page and so on...
The only option I have in mind and I still did not use is making Opera my default browser and trying again, but I'm not sure it will work that way and I don't like to mess with my system settings (of course I would get back to Firefox as a default browser after that and I don't know how harmful this successive changes would be for my system).

Any idea or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by dandima_nc, 24 September 2005 - 07:59 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you tried it in Internet explorer?

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It works...
I really avoid using IE unless there's no other way, and because Opera is set to identify itself as IE and still nothing happened when using it I never took into consideration this option.
Thank you very much, now my audio files are usable.