Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

authentication profiles greyed out

• Please log in to reply

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Please could anyone help me out on this one? For some reason my authentication profiles are greyed out and I'm sure this is what is stopping my home network from working.

It has worked perfectly fine before up until I accidently messed up my privelege settings on Windows.

I am running Windows XP Pro and the the client computer is running Windows xp Home.

I've been searching google for my problem but I havn't yet found a fix, I found out you need to be logged in as an admin to enable these settings. I am logged in as an admin though and I can't think of anything else that could be causing this problem.

Here is a screenshot:

Posted Image

It would be great if anyone could help me ASAP because if I can't get it working I've been told I need to switch my ADSL connection onto my Dads Computer, which means I'll have no internet :tazz:

Advertisements

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
please please please can somebody help me ?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Did you get this resolved? I guess I am unclear on precisely what is wrong? Do you have a network set up in your house?

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Did you get this resolved? I guess I am unclear on precisely what is wrong? Do you have a network set up in your house?

View Post

yeah i have a network but it wont work and im sure its down to this problem.

see the grey window open in my image i posted, all of those boxes in the window are greyed out. i want to find out how i can enable these boxes again because it has let me click on them before

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
This is strange, cuz I have been able to click on those before too, and now I don't even get the Authentication tab on either pc. What does it look like on the other pc?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
i cant access that pc right now, i'll get back to you tommorow one that one! well if you don't know what to do.. looks like im screwed.. lol

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Not true, I will try to figure something out, I have a 2 pc network right here I can mess around with and try to figure out the problem....... Hopefully.

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
oh right, and yout network works perfectly? thanks a bunch anyhoo

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

oh right, and yout network works perfectly? thanks a bunch anyhoo

Not sure if I'm catchin' whether you're sendin' bad vibes at me or something, but yes my network does work perfectly. I am actually messing with the settings right now to try and help. If you don't want it then I'll just figure it out anyways and not tell you. If this is just a big misunderstanding then I do apologize.

-=jonnyrotten=-

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry! i wasnt being sarcastic, I'm just bored, lol. yea that'd be great if you could leave some feedback i'll check back here tommorow. ciao man

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Cool :tazz: no probs. Didn't mean to get all uptight about things.

If you run the network setup wizard again is the stuff available again? Don't know if you may have already tried that.

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ahh, I just remembered why my tabs went away I think. I disabled IEEE in my bios. Check yours have you been in there at all lately? Maybe accidentially messed with something.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
That authentication tab is for wireless authentication I believe. Are you having wireless networking problems? What exactly is happening anyways?

Pharcyde

Pharcyde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I dont't have IEEE settings in my bios :/

I'm just gonna forget about it for now, I have my internet running from the other computer. I need to reformat anyway so I'll just do that when I want my internet hosting back on my computer, I figure this is going to be to hard to fix so i'll just leave things as they are at the moment. I have the other computer running 24/7 anyway lol

Oh yeah, its not wireless I'm just using cat6 cables