Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External sound card problems

• Please log in to reply

dedrik

dedrik

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently posted about a few problems i was having with my computer after i dual booted windows 98 and XP and i mentioned that the sound card wouldnt work in windows 98 but no one was able to give me an answer so i tired using an external sound card.

My computer is a compaq presario r3060ca notebook. Im running Windows 98 and Windows XP SP2. The sound card that is originaly on the computer is a soundmax integrated digital audio. It works fine in XP but not at all in 98. Im not to sure on the exact details on the external sound card because its someone elses but its less than a year old and its a sound blaster. the model number is SB0270. It didnt come with any drivers and it uses usb and i have usb 2.0.

The external sound card works perfectly in windows xp but when i try to use it in windows 98 it wont work if i boot with it plugged in but if i plug it in after i boot the speakers that i have hooked up to it will make some staticky sounds and then it will start working. It will work for maybe 5-20 mins then all of a sudden it will stop working and also my usb mouse will quit working too. I have tried unplugging all usb devices and plugging them back in and nothing will happen. it will start to work again when i restart. The mouse works fine when its the only thing pluged in.

Im not sure why this happens. It dosent happen at all in windows xp. any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows 98, although it supports USB devices, it can't do so without a driver specifically for that particualr device. Windows XP, on the other hand, supports most USB devices natively and doesn't need a third-party driver.
As for the internal sound-chip, I would guess it works with XP because an XP driver has been installed --- this driver, in common with all XP device-drivers, is not compatible with Windows 98, hence no sound.

dedrik

dedrik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
but the external sound card works fine in windows 98 its just after a little while of using it all usb devices will quit working untill i reset the computer.