Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rdriv.sys and msdirectx.sys [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

OK then, try this one

Go to this site

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

and Paste this in the box,

C:\WINDOWS\system32\systems.exe

then press "Submit"

Advertisements

mokhseinabd

mokhseinabd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there UKBiker.

OK I think I may have made a mistake, Upon a closer look in the system and system32 folders, yes they have a file called "system.drv", but I could not find any file called "systems.exe".

So when I copy and paste from your posting into the link you gave me and then click submit nothing happens.

But when I use the browse button to find the "system" file in both the folders and click submit then I get a result saying :

You're clean!
Kaspersky Anti-Virus has not detected any viruses at this time in the file you submitted.

However, only a fully-functional antivirus solution with regularly updated virus definitions can ensure comprehensive protection against malware. If you do not have an antivirus solution installed, you may wish to consider purchasing one today.

Download a trial version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus in our E-Store
Purchase Kaspersky Anti-Virus from a certified partner

Scanned file: system.drv

system.drv - OK

However it is indeed puzzling that systems.exe shows up in the HijackThis log.

Thanks...Mokhsein

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

Ok, try these file paths in the Kaspersky online scanner

C:\WINDOWS\systems.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system\systems.exe

mokhseinabd

mokhseinabd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi there.

OK will do as advised.

Thanks/Regards...Mokhsein

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

I knew i was missing something :tazz:

Please download FileFind from Atribune.
Unzip the file and save it to your desktop.

To run FileFind, please do the following:
  • Click on FileFind.exe
  • In the box labeled "Enter the directory to search"
    • Enter Drive , in this case, C:\
  • In the box labeled "Enter the file to search"
    • Enter the file systems.exe
  • Now click on the "Find" button
  • Once the utility has found the files click on "Export"
  • This will save a text file to your C:\ drive as "Export.txt"
  • Double click on Export.txt, copy and paste this information in your next post

mokhseinabd

mokhseinabd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi UKBiker. Well I've done the Kaspersky search and also the Findile search. Still no result.

ve had another go at the Kaspersky Online File Scanner, and there was still no result.

As for File Find it also failed to find any such file as systems.exe.

Not sure now whether it is a "phantom" file.

Thanks...Mokhsein

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya :)

Thanks for going through those searches mate :tazz:

How is your system performing now, any problems?

mokhseinabd

mokhseinabd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi UKBiker.

Thanks very much for your help. The system is performing fine now. However there are 2 things which I think maybe you may have an opinion on.

1. Mozilla Firefox browser takes an average of 20 seconds to open. The PC I use in my office it takes 2 - 3 seconds only.

2. When I open Task manager I sometimes find CPU usage 100%, even though I have only 1 or 2 applications actually running. I think there are a lot of processes running in the background taking up a lot of CPU usage.

Other than the above everything is fine now. Thanks again for your help.

Best Regards...Mokhsein

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi there :)

There can be a number of reasons why you get CPU load like that, background monitoring from security apps can sometimes do it, but I know that there are several threads in the hardware and XP support parts of G2G on this. Have a look in there and see if they give you any help. If not, post a question on those forums.

I never use Firefox myself, but we have done quite a lot of stuff to your system here, and it may be feeling a bit unloved at the moment. In these final stages, we give your PC a bit of TLC, so that should hopefully speed things up a bit for you. Again, there is a part of G2G which deals specifically with Internet and Browser issues, so you may find some help there.

Ok Then, This is the bit I really Like :tazz:

Congratulations , your log is clean :) :) :)

Just a general clean up now and we are done

Now you have to clean out your temporary files and flush your restore points:
  • Start | Run | type cleanmgr | OK
  • Let it scan your system for files to remove.
  • Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
  • Click "OK" to remove them.
  • Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion.
Flush System Restore.

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

4. Finally Defragment your hard Drive.

So now that your PC is clean, how do you keep it that way?

The single most important measure is this. Keep your copy of XP fully up to date after that,

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:
  • AntiVirus Program<= An AntiVirus program is a must! Whether it is a free version like AVG or Anti-Vir, or a shareware version like Norton or Kapersky, this is a must have.
  • Firewall<= A firewall is definatley a must have. Two good free versions are Sygate and ZoneLabs.
  • More Secure Browser<= Internet Explorer is not the most secure and best browser. There are safer alternatives available. ConsiderFirefox, however Opera and SlimBrowsers are good as well.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
Spyware Aid's spyware article: Spyware, Adware, Malware: What it is, how it got on my computer, how to get rid of it, and how to prevent it.

Glad to have been of help :)

mokhseinabd

mokhseinabd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi UKBiker,

Thanks very much for all the advice in your latest posting. I will get right down to it as soon as I get back home this evening.

Regards...Mokhsein

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
You are welcome :) , Im glad we got you sorted out :tazz:

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.