Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

post screen problems

• Please log in to reply

SMSS

SMSS

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!--

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 which blew an inverter bulb and was repaired by a Dell tech. After I got it back, Windows XP ran fine, but the post screen was no longer coming up, which I didn't feel was a problem (figured it was a setting I could fix later), but now I realized I can't get into the BIOS, which is where I think I could fix the post screen. The problem is, the post screen is totally black, but after a long period of blackness, Windows XP comes up and runs fine. I'm pretty sure the BIOS setup entry key is F2, but when I press F2, I just keep getting a black screen (and Windows doesn't load). It's like all my text is black on a black screen or something. I can't get the Dell diagonstic utility at F12, either.

After a Google search, I found someone who had the same problem after plugging into an LCD projector (which is what I was doing when I booted and discovered my inverter bulb had blown). Found no solution, though.

Is there a way to ensure the post screen is on without getting into the BIOS since I can't seem to do it? Am I just cracked and remembering the wrong Function-key to get into the BIOS? Is there a text color setting for the BIOS? What am I missing?

Thanks!--

--SMSS

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key to see if it enters set up

SMSS

SMSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried the delete key and the F1 key, too. No luck.

Thanks, though!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Contact Dell, preferably the technician who did the repair, ask him if you can re-instate it and if so, how or say he needs to look at it again