Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack this worm [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

acox

acox

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am trying to resolve an issue when "Search42.com" flashes up whenever I try and load a webpage. "Morwell Search Engine" and an adult dating page also flash up. But.....

When trying to run hijack this the McAfee anitvirus flashes up and says that it has found a virus at "C:/Documents and Settings/Nigel/Locals-1/Temp/Temporary Directory 4 f..." and that it is "W32/generic.worm!p2p". This prevents hijack this running. When trying to copy hijack this from its downloaded folder to the desktop I get the message "The system cannot find the specified file". I have tried downloading Hijack This from many sources and the problem persists.

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Try downloading HijackThis here and save it directly to a folder on your desktop (create one for it). Then close McAfee antivirus. Run HijackThis and choose to do the scan and save the log. Close HijackThis and enable/run McAfee antivirus again. Go online and post the HijackThis log here.

PS: did you check McAfee for any updates? They should have fixed that problem regarding HijackThis.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.