Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Turns off after several seconds

• Please log in to reply

Dwarfstompa

Dwarfstompa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just finished building a new desktop and after I turn it on it shuts off after several seconds. I haven't even installed an OS yet, I haven't been able to have it run for any length of time. The computer recognizes that I have 1 gig of ram and a 3.0 ghz processor, so those are functioning correctly. All wires in the case are hooked up correctly. I have tried two different power supplies. I just bought thermal solution thinking that maybe the computer was overheating, yet I still have the same result.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's probably dumb of me to ask, but you do have a heatsink fan on the processor? The CPU will overheat very quickly without it.

Dwarfstompa

Dwarfstompa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it has the stock heatsink and fan that came with the processor.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
is it mounted right? i had the same problem when i first built mine i was seein some ungodly high temps and gettin shutdowns becuase it wasnt mounted right.

Lion

Dwarfstompa

Dwarfstompa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've had the heatsink and fan off and on several times. I guess I could try it again. I definitely think its a heat issue, becasue I don't know what else it could be. It doesn't give me enough time to actually monitor it in setup though.