Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing a processor

• Please log in to reply

titan7342

titan7342

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi all, I am building my first CPU and am getting ready to install the processor onto the motherboard but I am not 100% surre on how to do this. Can anyone give me a walk-thru and any tips on this procedure? The mobo is a MSI KM4M-V Socket A and the processor is a AMD Athlon XP3000+ processor with a Barton Core and 333FSB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the AMD website there are videos on how to install the processor it might take abit to find them though they are well buried, i would give you the link but i lost my bookmarks last month.

titan7342

titan7342

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am confused. Do I have to use heat sink compound. If so where do I use it at and how much should I apply? I am thinking that with the new heat sink and fan the compound is already on it, is this correct?

Edited by titan7342, 25 September 2005 - 06:17 PM.

Boat

Boat

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My AMD 64 retail heat sink/fan came with a thermal pad already installed on the bottom. You can go with that pad or you can remove it and use thermal grease. To remove the pad you scrape it off using something like a plastic credit card and then clean the surface with a solvent like mineral spirits and a lint free cloth (coffee filter works). I you are going to use thermal grease go to the Artic silver web site and look at the installation instructions for your processor type.

For me the hard part is usually attaching the heat sink/fan to the processor. It always suprises me how much trouble I have with this and how much pressure I have to put on the second attachment point to get it to engage.

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is web site that should help you http://www.cardinal..../cpuinstall.htm :tazz:

speedman

speedman

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Here is a good site but it is more for installing LGA775:http://www.hardwarezone.com/guides/intel-socketT/index.php?pg=4 :tazz: