Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Totally stumped reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply

zooman53

zooman53

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm at my wits end. A week or so ago I started having problems with XP. I thought it might be corrupted files or a virus. Since the problem wasn't quickly solved in Safe mode or Recovery, I decided to reload XP. (The computer was about 1 month old and working fine from retail OS that I had installed previously). When I went through installation process with Windows, I started having big problems. It finally got to the point that the computer would post but not boot to Windows. It goes through the process of copying the temporary files, agreeing with copy right, and partitioning and formating the hard disk. The problem comes when the program starts to copy the Windows files. After it copies about 50% of the files, I start getting messages that it can't copy various files. Finally, it won't go any further and I get a blue screen with a "Stop: 0x00. . ." message. Thru some problem-solving I know:
1) hard disk ok -- I ran a utility from manufacturer
2) OS disk not the problem -- I tried to install XP with another disk for my other computer. Same problem.
3) CD-ROM drive not problem -- ran OS disk with spare drive. Same problem.
4) All I have attached to computer is mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

Note: I was able 1 month ago to load Windows and it work fine.

Any ideas or suggestions. I'm tapped out and a little crazed.

Ken :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you look on the manufacturers site for your hard drive, you should get a set up utility, usually an ISO File which you burn to CD then boot the PC with.

Part of the utility should be hard fill drive / write zeros to drive, use this and choose the full option

If your hard drive is over 137 GB in size do not use the drive set up part of the utility, but just reboot with the XP CD in

Hard drive fil / write zeros to drive will take ages, possibly 8 hours, however, it will mean the XP install will be faultless, in 99% of cases

If your hard drive manufacturer has not got a set up utility which includes the drive erase then you can get UBCD 4 Windows here

http://projects.secu...oad.php?file=32

You can boot the PC with this and use any of the erasers on it

You will need to download the file then burn it as an ISO image file

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Just had the same problem you are referring to.. Turned out to be my cd-rom drive..

As I have two in that particular system, I simply made the cd-rom the master drive rather than the cd-rw and away it went..

Murray

zooman53

zooman53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually, I tried both of the above suggestions. I physically replaced the one CD drive in my computer (there is only one drive). I suppose both could be bad, but it wouldn't seem likely.

I also went to the Hitachi web site and download the program they have to test and erase the hard drive (called DFT or Drive Fitness Test). The hard drive tested ok and I used the "erase disk" utility, which according to the literature places "0s" on the hard drive.

Any other ideas?

Ken

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Can you post the entire exact BSOD error message including any details??

Murray

zooman53

zooman53

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
A friend suggest I check my ram memory. I alternated pulling out the cards and discovered one of them was faulty -- problem solve.

Thought you might like to know for future reference.

Thanks.

Ken :tazz: :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know