Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Source Forums

• Please log in to reply

TheRelief

TheRelief

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I want to start a forum for my local small biz community. Unfortunately, I have no experience whatsoever with forums, and I don't know how difficult it will be to download and install.

I plan on using http://www.phpbb.com/ because it's one I know for sure is comptabible with my hosting.

If need be, I'd love to do some trade work with someone who was willing to do the installation process for me or at least go through it with me so that I do it properly.

TIA!!!

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Its REALLY easy to install!!!

I have it on my website here...

http://www.allsortshop.com/forums

Have a look at the flash tutorials on the phpbb website.

They explain the whole installation process!

:tazz:

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ooo, thanks. You've given me hope.

When I was talking to a tech at my hosting company, he said it somewhat easy but then I also needed to be really fluent with php (which I'm not), really making it sound as though I might need a programmer to do the installation.

So, if I start this all by my lonesome, can I ask you some questions if I get stuck? I don't do well with written tutorials. I have to actually do something or have someone literally walk me through it before I understand.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Feel free to ask me any questions if you get stuck!

DaGeekz

DaGeekz

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah, Phpbb is very easy to install, and very easy to Modify.
I think that it's the best kind of forum.

Rockett

Rockett

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
While it's easy to install, setup can be a bit time consuming. It's all worth it tho, when you get the end results!!! I use the PostNuke version of it and I LOVE it :-)

Rockett

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi guys...well, I'm finally ready to install PHbb.

I made a folder in my website. I downlowned/unzipped PHbb 2.0. The files are sitting in my unzipped folder until I know better what to do with them.

I'm reading the installation guide, and here's where I'm not sure what I need to do:

2.1: MySQL 3 and 4, PostgreSQL 7.x, MS SQL 7/2000 (inc. via ODBC)
Before proceeding with installation you should ensure you have a database available. Ask your provider for details if you are unsure whether you do or not. (I know I have this; so no problem here).

2.2: MS Access 2000/XP
Before you install phpBB 2.0, you need to create a Data Source Name. The exact way to do this will depend on your hosting provider; if you are unsure you should check with them before proceeding. In general though, you should create a System DSN which points to the location where you have stored an unzipped copy of the ms_access_primer.mdb file ( ms_access_primer.zip can be found in db/schemas/). The name you give this DSN will be used during installation. Do not proceed until this step is complete! (This is where I'm stuck. I don't know what they are talking about and my hosting doesn't have anything in their help topics about this. So here's where I need your expertise - please tell me how to create a Data Source Name.)

Thanks!!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore all that, you don't need it, in fact any host that uses Access databases on a public server deserves to fail. You'll be using the MySQL database most likely.

As long as you have your database name, username and password for the database, and know your relative paths and stuff, the install script will take care of the rest.

TheRelief

TheRelief

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Oh...the way they have it written, it seemed like you had to cover all these bases "just in case."

Install script? I haven't gotten that far into the instructions, but I wasn't aware of any install script. I'm using PHbb, and what they have you do is download the unzipped files and then FTP them onto the host site.

You sound very knowledgeable...can you give me some other pointers. I've never worked with a forum before so downloading/installing one is completely foreign to me and I don't know what to expect or what the pitfalls are.

TIA

Danny

Danny

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Hi,

After you ftp em up to your server, navagate to this directory:

http://www.mydomain.com/forumdir/install/install.php

(Edit the stuff in bold) Then enter all the data it asks you for (mySQL database name, pass, etc)

Good luck,

Danny :tazz: