Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DISK READ ERROR-endless reboot

• Please log in to reply

trignet

trignet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
have put together a new gaming case with an inexpensive mobo. Reusing proc and disk drives. Hardware works in old pc, not the new one--here are the symptoms:
primary/master 80GB WD primary/slave Seagate 40GB jumpers ARE correct.
Boot sequence IS correct each attempt.
BIOS detects all devices properly. With 80GB attached at all, get a DISK READ ERROR CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart when trying to boot to it.
Boot from CD with XP CD, gets to "Examining system configuration" then black screens... CD spins down, locks up machine. Have run manufacturers disk utilities to test drive, all pass. Put disk in another working machine as a slave, can read all data. Remove the disk drive from new system, and setup wants to proceed to the Seagate drive as one would expect.
Have tried slaving the 80GB even put on secondary IDE, no different results.
Also have tried a PCI Promise card to rule out IDE channels.
The mobo is a Biostar M6vlr. I see others that have had problems but the problems aren't as predominant as one would expect for a cheap board.
Most are video/lan/driver issues, and for the laptop variety of this board.
Have Gooogled now for a few hours and crosseyed pondering ideas. Any suggestions from a fresh perspective are GREATLY appreciated.
I apologize in advance if this topic has been posted elsewhere, and if the explanation is vague: I am feeling pretty browbeaten by now.
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your BIOS may be looking for a disk with different specifications. Go into Setup and change the drive detection settings to Auto.

trignet

trignet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had everything set at AUTO, I had stumbled upon a thread somewhere that suggested that disabling UDMA, setting the PIO, and playing with busmastering settings might help, but fruited no different results. I have been through all the BIOS settings and tried anything that could affect it. The original system still works fine, with the same drive, so I know its most likely the mobo. I have flashed to the most recent BIOS rev too... tried that first out of all of this. Still looking for suggestions if anyone has any. Tomorrow is a weekday and I have also left message with manufacturer. Maybe something will pan out.
Thanks all in advance.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Check the drive cabling. If possible, use cables that you know work OK & make sure they are connected the right way round - by that I mean the correct end is plugged into the motherboard (normally the blue connector on the cable is the one to the motherboard. If yours is a different colour, let me know)