Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Baz_O_Mania

Baz_O_Mania

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to shutdown my computer, it restarts instead. What can I do to fix this problem?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Hmmm, a shutdown issue with windows ME, how unusual. NOT. :tazz:

Could be caused by any number of things I'm afraid but lets see if we can narrow that down a bit for you.

Have you tried booting up in safe mode, then shutting down? If so, does it shut down correctly this way?
(To load in safe mode, power on & wait for the initial bios screen to disappear. The second it disappears, press the F8 key a few times & this should bring up the boot menu. Select SAFE MODE from the menu & continue to boot).

Assuming it shuts down properly in safe mode, reboot normally then go to Start->Run and type msconfig
On the first page of msconfig, select the Advanced button. If the 'Disable Fast Shutdown' checkbox is cleared, then tick it.
If it is already ticked, then tick the 'VGA (640x480)' checkbox instead.
Click OK & reboot a couple of times to see if this makes any difference. If it doesn't help & you only ticked the Disable fast shutdown box last time, then try ticking the VGA 640x480 box as well & rebooting.

Next, go back to msconfig & clear the VGA checkbox only (leave fast shutdown disabled).

Let me know what happens before we go any further.

Baz_O_Mania

Baz_O_Mania

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you so much...but, I'm more than sure it's a power supply issue, seeing my computer doesn't turn on sometimes and I have to turn the power switch off and on to turn it on.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, the powering on problem certainly won't be a windows related issue, I agree but this doesn't necessarily mean its a faulty PSU either (although that is an option).

Can you go into the bios & look under the power management settings. There should be a setting called something like : AC Power Loss. There should be 3 possible values that this can be set to :
OFF/ON/PREVIOUS STATE

Let me know which of those 3 options is set.

It may also be worth checking the front panel connectors on the motherboard (in particular, the soft power switch connector) to make sure it is securely connected.