Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem printing from Canon BJC-250

• Please log in to reply

Estrada

Estrada

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Howdy!

Not too long ago I had to wipe my computer (Dell laptop: Smartstep 200N) and reinstall windows--everything has been fine, and I haven't had any problems since I reinstalled windows. However I was unable to complete the installation of my Canon BJC-250 printer from the manufacturer's disk (though I was able to install it previously when running XP, Home SP1 about a year ago).

I figured the problem might be that the installation disk is for Windows 98 & 95, so I downloaded the driver from Canon's website for XP (v.150) and was able to "successfully" install my BJC-250.

However I've been unable to print...from any program (I've went through all of the Windows troubleshooter steps) or from prompt commands. I can print directly from the printer (autonomously), so it is working properly.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong and/or how I can print?
Thanks!

Advertisements

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
do you mean it doesn't print at all or it just prints white sheets

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

do you mean it doesn't print at all or it just prints white sheets

View Post

Doesn't print at all.

It seems like there's no communication between the PC and the printer (I've triple checked the connection between them, and it seems fine).

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Is your printer hooked through a usb port or serial, if it is a usb port does a message at the bottom of the screen say it has been installed properly?

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Is your printer hooked through a usb port or serial,  if it is a usb port does a message at the bottom of the screen say it has been installed properly?

View Post

Through the serial lpt1 port.

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
If it has a usb conection may i sugest using that?..... If not maybe u accidentally downloaded the windows 98 driver? maybe try uninstalling the driver and installing it from here http://drivers.soft3..._250-23311.html write back and let me no

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If it has a usb conection may i sugest using that?..... If not maybe u accidentally downloaded the windows 98 driver? maybe try uninstalling the driver and installing it from here http://drivers.soft3..._250-23311.html write back and let me no

View Post

It doesn't have a USB connection, and the driver I downloaded is the exact same file you directed me to.

Any other ideas?
Thanks for your replies!

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hmm running out of ideas but i am wondering i no this may sound dumb i'm not an expert so don't laugh at this but i am wondering do u need to install a driver for your serial port?

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hmm running out of ideas but i am wondering i no this may sound dumb i'm not an expert so don't laugh at this but i am wondering do u need to install a driver for your serial port?

View Post

I don't believe so, but I'll double check.

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
How many 250's are in your printer and fax folder (control panel, printers and faxes)? If you have a copy1 you need to un/reinstall. Good luck.

Advertisements

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

How many 250's are in your printer and fax folder (control panel, printers and faxes)? If you have a copy1 you need to un/reinstall. Good luck.

View Post

Just one.

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Can you print a test page from that? Right click, left click on properties and click "print test" page on the bottom right. According to Canon sight it's a parrallel port so make sure that's what your using. LPT1 is the parrallel port which I think you mentioned. I'm sure you have it setup as "default printer" as well with the check marked on the 250?

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
This the same driver you got?

bjc250Win2kXPv150.exe

Estrada

Estrada

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Can you print a test page from that? Right click, left click on properties and click "print test" page on the bottom right. According to Canon sight it's a parrallel port so make sure that's what your using. LPT1 is the parrallel port which I think you mentioned. I'm sure you have it setup as "default printer" as well with the check marked on the 250?

View Post

No I can't print a test page; and yes it is the default printer.

(the printer works--you can print a status page by holding down the power button when you turn it on and waiting until it beeps a certain number of times, but it doesn't need to be connected to a computer to do this)

This the same driver you got?

bjc250Win2kXPv150.exe

View Post

Yes.

wrdmatt

wrdmatt

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
when you print out say on word, do u select the right printer?

Also, dont suppose u have any other connections in the back of ur computer u can try it with?