Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Random System StartUp

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
my computer won't startup with one push of the power button. the lights would flicker and fans turn on ect. but my monitor remainds blank as if the computer wasn't on.
then i would turn the power off my pushing the power button for about 10 seconds and wait 10 more seconds and turn the computer back on by pushing the power button. the 2nd time around it would startup and everything works normally from there.

i knoticed this after i installed 2 things in my computer

a ATI 9800 pro 128mb video card, and 2 512mb pc2700 memory sticks.

before the installation my computer would turn on fine with one power on, after this it would take twice to turn it on.

im taking a amature guess here but i think i have too low of a power supply.

any suggestions comments are appreciated.

my computers specs are:

P4 2.53ghz processor
1gb of ram
ati 9800 pro video card
120gb HDD
and i have a 200watt power supply.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try going into the BIOS and changing the default display (or Initial Display or something similar to AGP instead of PCI). *MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE SETTINGS WHEN EXITING THE BIOS.That should solve your problem. Post back here with how things went after trying this.