Compaq Presario 5000,
800 mhz, 20 gig HD, 370 ram,
WinXP Pro SP2, D-Link router, ISP=AOL Broadband
Ethernet cable home network (other computer usually switched off recently).
A few months ago my son changed our USB modem for a router, all seemed fine.
Later, I installed Ashampoo Winoptimizer Platinum Suite 2 and ran all the items included. I only removed the files that the program stated were safe to remove and everything was fine for a while.
Then, my computer started to 'go slow' and some strange things happened:
1. Avast was updating fine and appeared to be protecting and sat as usual in the system tray. However, it would not open its 'scan' feature, hourglass hovered a while and then nothing. Avast tech support said re-install etc. I did but it made no difference (all is OK in safe mode).
2. I can't access the Windows Help/Support Centre. Same result as with Avast, hourglass spins a while, then nothing.
3. I can't access 'System Information' from the 'Accessories' ssection of 'All Programs'.
1. Repaired Windows XP.
2. Checked all Windows updates.
3. Updated and Run my 'security' programs as follows:
a. Mcafee Firewall
e. AVG antivirus
Have also run all the programs for Spy/Malware that you suggest and have a report from Ewido.
I have not tried 'Hijack This' as I thought it better to explain the problem first.
Can anyone help me please
Many thanks in anticipation.