Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic networking

• Please log in to reply

KidCharlie

KidCharlie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Can I have some help connecting a laptop with a cat5 crossover cable to share file.it doesn;t sound to difficult but niether machine recognizes the other one when they are connected and after i run the networks wizard but it doesn;t work. I don;t know maybe its something supid that i am missing or something that is a little glichy about these systems. thanks for the help.

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Tell us what kind of systems you are trying to connect [XP to 9x?] and the NIC's and protocols too

Edited by kd1966, 25 September 2005 - 09:25 PM.

KidCharlie

KidCharlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Both are using XP sp2. both are using on board NIC's. my wireless router is linksys but i think i would just like to transfer the files with the crossover cables right now. What protocols would you like. both machines are 512 mb ram emachines ones a laptop amd and the others a desktop p4.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I don't see the problem unless you disconnected from the router and plugged in the crossover to each system without a restart. you may have to reset your tcp/ip settings; do both systems "recognize" a local area connection?
If so, try to do a "repair" option

KidCharlie

KidCharlie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i plug in the computers after a little work they do recognize the LAN but then to connect to share the files (or printers) its like it doesn;t even have an other networked computer. I have shared the files go to my network places and then to workgroup computers and get the error message "you might not have permission to networking resoures" or something like that. From what i read after i plug in the computers there should be a network already created then if you want more connect set up a home network via network wizard. I do this restart and i have no acess to my other computer.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
sounds like your computers are are fighting this "new" network; try this:

With your crossover connection, try to ping each system using ip address (Should start with 169.254.x.x), then ping by computer name, if this all works and you still cannot "see" the computers, then:

MAP a network drive to each share you want to access; of course you need to know the path to each share and type it in

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do run > cmd > ipcongif /all on all machines on this network...make sure they are all in the same ip range

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes, as well as subnet being same, or regardless of workgroup name, you won't see the computers

Edited by kd1966, 26 September 2005 - 02:37 PM.