Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows is shutting down to prevent damage

• Please log in to reply

Richo8

Richo8

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi
I was on my e-mail account and a message came up saying (windows is shutting down to prevent damage) or something similar. It said try to restart the computer later. So later i went to turn it on and all i get is a black screen no prompt no intel pentium 4 screen nothing totally blank. I also note that whenever i turn my computer on the power LED turns green like normal for say half a second then the power LED'S for both computer and screen turn amber and remain amber. There is no signs of life or response i cannot enter bios the computer seems totally dead.

any help would be much appreciated

Cheers Rich

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hey Rich!

Do you happen to have a video card in the AGP slot or one of the other slots?

Fenor

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Richo8.

Have you overclocked this system at all, changed default voltages? If so, do you feel comfortable opening your computer?

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

cheers for your thoughts, no i have not overclocked the system and i dont have a video card in the AGP slot or one of the other slots. Also i have not recently installed any new hardware or software its a total mystery.

Rich

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
My best guess is that your power supply has gone bad. I suggest you go to a local computer repair shop and have it tested.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you have access to a spare PSU that you can use to test

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The pc is brand new from Dell i have only had it 1 month. Also would a bad psu cause an error message to appear saying windows is shutting down to prevent damage, try and reboot shortly.

cheers Rich

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could, but...i would suggest getting dell to replace the machine....since it is probably still underwarranty....call them and they will send a tech out

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Open the case, pop out the CMOS battery. It's round, smaller than a quarter. Replace it with a new one ($10) or put it back. You could also "jump the board" by unplugging from wall, disconnecting power supply from motherboard, locating and jumping the pins ( from a 1-2 to a 2-3) for 30 seconds, and then reverse steps. Sometimes clearing CMOS to default will jolt things back to life again, sometimes not. If you try this, you may need to go into the BIOS and reset the system date/time afterward, and if you get a bad checksum error you have a problem that hopefully is covered under warranty.

Johanna

Richo8

Richo8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Cheers guys for all your suggestions