Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP - Random Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply

n_niaz

n_niaz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Guys,

I've looked around on the forum for possible reasons of the freeze and nothing seems to work and so I though I'd post my problem and see if anything relevant turns up.

Around three days ago, while working normally on my laptop, it suddenly froze. By freeze up I mean : the screen sits idle, the mouse does not move, does not react to the keyboard, the hard disk makes no sound or no light to show activity. So I turned off the laptop and couple of minutes later restarted it. It worked fine for a few minutes and then it froze again. The strange part about this is that it happens randomly. There is no specific task that I am running or doing that causes it to freeze. I've restarted it a couple of times and each times it happens. I have tried to experiment with a number of things and it freezes up at different times and different places. This has happened on the welcome screen, safe mode, while logged in an account etc. Basically it happens everywhere. There is no specific time elapsed that it freezes as well. THe fact that the hard disk is not doing anything is what I find really strange. Its not like its stuck in an infinite loop or processing something that would cause the freeze.

So if anybody has experienced such a thing or knows of any virus/spyware that could be causing this please help me out. THe computer is very important to me!!!!!!

thanking you

ali

p.s. THe laptop is 1.7Mhz Toshiba Satelite Pro 256MB, 40 GB.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What has worked for me on laptops in the past that have had this freezing problem, is that I go and take out the memory sticks on the laptop, blow off both the memory stick and the slot it goes into and then reseed it. This works most of the time. Post back with details.

Fenor

n_niaz

n_niaz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Feron,

I tried what you said but no good. Its still hanging up. I think I should add one more thing here. When the notebook starts up it gives two error messages:

***Bad RTC Battery****
***Bad Disk CheckSum****

and then it takes me to the bios. If I restart the computer it doesnt show that again. Maybe that should give some information. Any other suggestion.

A