Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NOPOST/NOVIDEO Replaced MB & PS

• Please log in to reply

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Computer froze and I had to hardboot. Booted ok and the next time it happened (hours later) it blinked several times and had to hardboot again but this time nopost/novideo. I have replaced mother board, power supply with same results and now after reading this possibly the CPU? From what I'm reading if the CPU is fried then it won't post either? Everything powers up except the post and video. No pci cards and even tried without memory still no post beeps of any kind. New MB has integrated video so that one is off the list as well.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

OK, let me just check I've got this right - your system wouldn't post at all so you've replaced the motherboard & PSU, kept the original CPU & everything else, and the system still doesn't post, right?

Can you tell me the system specs please? i.e. CPU, ram, video & motherboard make/model if possible.

Can you also tell me, when you tried to power the system up, did you notice if the keyboard lights flashed up once just after powering on & did you hear any beeps? If you can't remember, then don't power the system on now to check - I want to make sure it isn't overheating before you power it up again.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ath 1800+, Crucial 256 2100 x 2, New MB MSI / Old ECS K7S5A, GeForce FX 5200 64MB (not currently installed). Keyboard briefly lit up and no beeps. Have a nasty feelin it's the cpu.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Duh ... MB MSI KM3M-V with integrated video.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, when you fitted the cpu into the new motherboard, did you remove the old thermal compound first & apply fresh compound before powering the system up?

If you have already done that, then check that you have the 12V 4 pin square ATX connector plugged in to the motherboard.

Clear the cmos using the JBAT1 jumper - disconnect the main 20pin atx connector from the motherboard, move the jumper cap to pins 2-3 for about 30 seconds, then return jumper to pins 1-2.

Double check the FSB jumpers SW1/SW2 are set correctly for your cpu - SW1 should be jumpered on pins 2-3, SW2 should be jumpered on pins 1-2

Remove all drive cabling (hard drive/CD/floppy) from the motherboard but leave the power cables connected to the drives.

Disconnect any internal USB header cables.

Reconnect the main atx power cable & try to boot up again. Let me know what happens.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well that got me up to the blue screen of death with W2K Pro. It's just a matter of getting the new drivers up and running now. I made a couple of rookie mistakes that you picked up on. 12V to the cpu and SW1&2 settings. I new when I found this site ya'll would be able to pick up my shortfalls.

Blessings from central Florida USA

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ooops one more thing ... my cpu is showing in the bios as a 1150MHZ and it's an Ath XP 1800+. Shouldn't that be around 1500MHZ ? This book that came with the MB is shallow on instructions. Thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're right, your cpu should be clocking in at around the 1.5GHz mark.

First go into the bios & look for a setting to adjust the multiplier. This is often labelled something like Core/Bus ratio or multiplier. It may be that there is no setting for this & the multiplier is locked.

If this is the case, see if it reports the CPU FSB in the bios (should be 133MHz). If you can't find that, then download CPU-Z from here :
http://www.cpuid.com/

This will tell you what the FSB & multiplier are currently set to. If the FSB is set to 100MHz, then you need to check the SW1 & SW2 jumpers on the motherboard & adjust them for 133MHz.

If the FSB is set to 133MHz & the bios allows you to adjust the multiplier, then change it to 11.5. This will give a cpu speed of 1.5GHz

If you are in any doubt about what to change etc, then just ask.

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Samm thanks for all your help. It turned out being a bad memory stick and everyting came up after removing one of them.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
glad to hear you've got to the cause of the problem :tazz: