Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS not detecting hard disk

• Please log in to reply

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
10 pins on both HDD's.

Set the 80gb as master on the IDE and master jumper went into BIOS and it didnt auto-detect nor could it find it at all.

Switched the jumper to CS and again it didnt auto-detect, though on the 2nd try it did recognize it was there. But again it didnt store the info after reboot.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hmmm, that doesn't sound promising. Can you tell me which on the 10 pins are jumpered on the 80GB drive? Pins are numbered as shown below :

________________9 7 5 3 1
[ IDE CONNECTOR] [ : : : : : ] [PWR]
_______________10 8 6 4 2

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
On both drives they are written on the bottom and this is what ive been going by.

1/2 - CS
3/4 -Slave
5/6 - Master
7/8 - No label
9/10 - PM2

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, again try the 80GB drive on its own, attached to the end of the cable. But this time, remove the jumper altogther

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
With the removed jumper, same results as being on CS. Bios didnt auto-detect, in bios it found it as the primary master on the 2nd try.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Right, so if when the bios does detect the drive, you save the changes to the bios, exit & reboot, what happens next?

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well usually it just sits at the 'HP Pavilion screen' until I hit the power button. If I turn it off and then on, it again doesnt see it on boot.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you go into the bios & disable the HP splash screen so you can see whats actually going on on-screen?

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok, disabled splash screen and quick boot mode.

I then found the primary master (80gb no jumper) in bios, saved and exited.
Memory Test seemed to restart back at 1000k or so (probably 1024) 3 times before it finished. It did detect the 80gb Hard drive and then at the end it was just a black screen with one little flashing underscore (like dos).

I then stuck the jumper back to cs and booted up. Memory test did the same thing (rolling back 3 times before completing) and I couldnt tell if it found the 80gb drive. It then said Boot Disk Error which has been the error ive always recieved if I just let it boot.

I will poke around a bit more with this and post the results.

Edit: I did figure out that with jumpers on CS is does not auto-detect the 80gb hard drive while booting.

Edited by Droog13, 27 September 2005 - 06:17 PM.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
According to this:
http://wdc.custhelp....li=&p_topview=1

I tried the jumpers on the master on 4 and 6, didnt detect on boot nor in bios.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Jumpers 4-6 are for single (neutral) installation, no jumper is for single (standard) installation. And no, I'm not absolutely sure what the difference is!

Was the 80GB drive working ok before in this system as a boot drive?

If so, it sounds like the boot sector may be corrupted.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Not 100% sure what you mean 'as a boot drive'

But it had Windows on it and it was getting booted up from. And it was working just fine.

Can just the boot sector be repaired? Or should I put a new hard drive to be the primary, and just tranfer the data onto it (is even that possible?)

And will I need to buy a new copy of XP? Not sure how else I would install it on the HDD.

Edited by Droog13, 27 September 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
yep, by 'boot drive' i meant the C drive.
If it is just the boot sector, it can probably be repaired by you may have to wipe the drive & reinstall windows so you would require an XP CD.

Got to go to bed now cuz its really late here in England! I'll get back to you tomorrow though.

Droog13

Droog13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

yep, by 'boot drive' i meant the C drive.
If it is just the boot sector, it can probably be repaired by you may have to wipe the drive & reinstall windows so you would require an XP CD.

Got to go to bed now cuz its really late here in England! I'll get back to you tomorrow though.

View Post

http://bootmaster.fi...oot_sector.html

Is something like that of any use or a possible solution for me?

Thanks for all the help Samm, I can stress that enough :tazz:

Edited by Droog13, 27 September 2005 - 07:02 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
you're very welcome. Speak to you again tomorrow