Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
For a while now I have been trying to do a windows update and when I get to the site it says this website is controlled by ActiveX Than when I click on the Express one, it doesn't do anything.
I know before I was also have trouble with my "Paint" program it hasn't been working for a long time now too.

What shall I do? Do you need m to post a HiJackThis?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you clicking on the bar along the top in order to install the ActiveX?? That is a must!!

Murray

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Where?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

open the above in notepad, select all tet, hit delete, save file.

visit windows update

reopen the above file

post contents

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
When I went to Notepad and tried to open where you told me to go. When I clicked on
C:/windows/ well there was no windows update under the windows there was just "desktop" & "syas" but when I went under "WINN"T there was "Windows Update setup Files"

:tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Some computers use a folder called Windows and others WINNT, there is no differance execpt in the name. Do what he said for the WindowsUpdate.log that you found in C:\WINNT