Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message help

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You can go here
Online scan
and do an online scan without taking your current anti virus off.
It is ok to run an online scan with the other still on your machine

Advertisements

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok. Well the sound card solution you gave me is inconclusive. And I can't update the driver for some reason.

I guess I'll just have to buy a new sound card? Or do you think you can stilll help with that?

Should I avoid the double post and wait till we are finished to handle the FCEngine problem?

I use McAfee, which is about useless. I'm deleting McAfee tommorow. But I also have Ewido runnning. Oh, and AVG. 3 anti-virus at the same time? Not good right? Well I'll end up ditching 2 of those. any recommendations?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Don't ditch sound card yet.
running more then 1 anti virus BAD
In post # 15 I gave you a link to an anti virus and in post #16 I gave you a link to
an online scan.
What happened with sound card in device manager? any yellow ?
Do you have the original drivers? before ditching I would go to device manger click on the
sound card then click on remove. then reboot If you do not have the drivers grab them of the web. If you are not sure how then let me know the make and model of the sound card.

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The reason I have ended up with so many virus scans is cause I have been told to download 900. I'm going to stick with Ewido. Or what should you suggest? I have McAfee, but I have been told its pretty much worthless, and that it slows your computer down to much. What do you think?

Ok, with the sound card, there are no yellows.

It's an internal sound card built into motherboard, I can't even tell what my sound card device is. I think I have narrowed it down between

Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
Legacy Audio Drivers

There are more in that list of sound, video and game controllers list. But those seem to be the most likely.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Sorry I am not making myself clear.
In my signature there are 2 links
1) E trust anti virus download - 1 year free. My opion only, the best anti virus scanner.
2) Next to that is an online scan from E trust also worth running.
Since your sound card is on board I sugest that you still highlight it and click on remove then click on refresh. This should start found new hardware wizard.

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok well... just for fun's sake I bought a new soundcar (soundblaster). And all new speakers... I have figured out the problem is Windows Media Player itself is making the sound crappy. So how do I go about fixing Windows Media Player?

Oh, and the scans showed up with nothing.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
update

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok I think I'm losing sight of what I need to fix. Right now it seems most problems have been tied up.

This constantly plagues me though. This error message I get everytime I try to download service pack 1 from Windows update.

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG
  • Error2.JPG

Edited by mrzippo, 04 October 2005 - 12:21 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you tried to download service pack 2 it includes service pack 1

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yes have already downloaded service pack 2 and 3. So is that error message just showing up because I already have that service pack?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
the latest service pack includes allservice packs before it.
Do you still have anything with HP in startup?
If yes don't delete it just drag it to your desktop

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Startup folder is empty

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Hi mrzippo,
I personally feel this error is being caused due to the .NET Framework. I saw from one of your previos posts that you, tried to download SP1 of .NET Framework 1.1, but failed. I don't think the .NET Framework comes with Windows SP3 Preview. Also are you sure you have .NET Framework 1.1, as the SP1 of .NET Framework requires the original .NET Framework 1.1.

You can get the origianl .NET Framework 1.1 from the following link:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
After that download that, go for SP1 for .NET Framework:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Also what happened about FCEngine?

mrzippo

mrzippo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Both downloaded and installed. But what did it do, and what else should I do after that?

FCEngine problem has been resolved. I wouldn't mind getting a HJT log check though, but I'll save it for the other forum I guess.

thanks,
the zippo