Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When i s the right age to allow a child to....

• Please log in to reply

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Excellent for her, thats control for a girl of that age. :tazz:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
yeah, well...I'm a darn proud mom. She's a heck of a kid.

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Yeah mine is as well, but does she have that kind of control, i dont think so. Ah well christmas is here in a few months maybe I'll drop my laurels abit and get her one.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
In answer to Fleamailmans question, I dont think that there is a "right" or "wrong" age here. It all depends on the circumstances and the individuals involved. In my case I bought my 6 yr old a cellphone and I pay the bill. Now if anyone wants to have a pop at me for being too indulgent or foolish, carry on, but understand the reason first. His mother and I had just divorced and I bought him the phone so that he could speak to me any time he wanted without needing to ask his mom.

See? My reasons, my choice.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Ukbiker, no stick from me anyway as it is a road I have been down too, and in your place I would have done exactly the same.

Back to the topic, I think I will ask this question again at some later date as I believe most people's opinions will change as the telephone/television/computer's technology converge.

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
See there is a signifacant reason to give a young child a telephone :tazz:

HarryMay

HarryMay

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
funny you should bring this up.I',m an old man w/no kids but I saw something that really interested me.A young good looking couple holding hands while walking,one on a cell phone and the other w/his ears plugged into his ipod.So close,y
et so far.16 to drive.18 to be handed a weapon and told to kill and/or vote.21 to get wrecked on alcahol.Maybe the question should be is there an age when someone becomes responsible to take care of themselves?Does the kid work?Can he afford the luxury of a cell?If some parents are wondering what the kids are doing on the computer in the family room,imigane what they might be doing with basically the same tech. away from your supervision.Maybe it's not age but rather the degree of responsibility one shows.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Maybe it's not age but rather the degree of responsibility one shows.

View Post

couldn't have said it better myself! Well put! :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You get them a phone when you're tired of chasing them around and trying to find them in the locker room, football field, basketball court, practice gym, tennis courts.......and then you get it for them and they decide not to:
a. carry it
b. turn it on
c. take it out of their shorts before you do laundry.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Coachwife has a point but there is always the "deduct from pocketmoney" clause written on the warrenty, I normally go half/half for mishaps resulting in loss or breakage knowing that if a generous stern daddy is better than a daddy who is just generous or stern. But my children are at an age now where to be without a phone would be letting their friend down; besides I always pin them to a return-time before I let them go out so they don't resent the phone as a leash knowing that it is often my phonecall which saves them from that "drill and grill" master who came with the marrage licence I believe, their mum.

Advertisements

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Well if you ask me i would tell you the minimal age between 15 an 17..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

.A young good looking couple holding hands while walking,one on a cell phone and the other w/his ears plugged into his ipod.So close,y
et so far.

see..this one brings up my other problem with cellhpnes...for all ages....everyone has become so relliant on this stuff...that you don't know what to do without your technology....no one knows how to interact with other human beings....i'm not saying that tv influences children by what they watch (because that would need to h ave it's own thread and i don't want to get this one off track) but....the fact that they can't talk to each other without using "text message" language hurts their skills as adults, and because they are always inside on the computer or infront of the tv they don't know how to physically interact in a social environment....which is why so many kids are on rittalin....so the cellphone just adds to that...there's nothing that i hate more than to see someone walking through the store talking on a cellphone the entire time they are there....with a headset on...i mean...how hard is it to pick up the phone? some people just need to unplug

i guess i wasn't successfull in staying on track but....oh well

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
My son is 8 years old and has been asking for a cell phone (we call them mobile phones here :tazz: ) for years. I refuse to give him one because he is never unsupervised unless he's playing right outside the house with the neighbours.

I really don't think his reasons for asking are due to safety. They are purely because other friends in his class have one and he likes to play games on them :)

When he starts venturing further away from home I will reconsider for purely safety reasons. Even then he will get a very old crappy model that does very little except make/send calls. Not a colour screen or java enabled game in sight :) .

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
We decided after I spent many frustrating evenings trying to find my son at the football field, the gym, the tennis courts, the weight room, etc. We were both making circles and it was very frustrating. If you can afford it, and you need it, and he/she is responsible enough or even if they are not....then, it is fine. Do what is best for your family in your situation. Every situation is different. I wanted him to have it because I was tired of trying to find him. He's a good kid, but I have limits to my time and my patience. We have already washed it once and he is without one now. And we need it. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you could just get that new implantable cell phone device...uses a tooth for the mic and a speaker mounted in your jawbone for the earpiece...