Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When i s the right age to allow a child to....

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts

you could just get that new implantable cell phone device...uses a tooth for the mic and a speaker mounted in your jawbone for the earpiece...

Don't tempt me. :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or get a gps tracker installed on/in the child....

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is that nifty wristwatch one that uses your finger to transmit and recive sounds.

I have had a phone since i was eleven and i have it with me maybe 3 days a week if i remeber when i was at school i only carried it on trips or if i thought i would stay late some times i would chuck it in the bottom of my bag until it woud run out of charge and i would get round to charging it

.All my phones have been very simple affairs my first was a "cooncil brick" and my second a siemens one that got stolen and the third a motorola flipy dealy before colour screens and that stuff still have it still works no reaon to get rid of it really: it is getting a bit worse for wear so i was thinking of a new one for christmas something that looks nice for a change, but i probably wont im far to stingy to be honest(complete stereotypical scottish person in that respect if i could bury my money in its box i would.)

. I dont need features though now(they are nice but not all to much point to java games) and i certainly didnt when i was younger i dont text its a stupid waste of money and i dont play games i dont really make phone calls due to my dislike of talking on the phone. So if you have a child that is vaguely responsible or like me doesnt like phones just get them one, you can always take it off them, its a parents perogative. ( i wonder where all that stuff goes it jus disappears they swear they gave it back and you are sure they didnt, ah the memories.

Also considering the price of a mobile, at a birthday it is more and more common to just get money it would be pretty easy for them to just go and buy one themselves, i have had to buy my mobiles that way.

Or like dsnette said fit them with a gps device, one fo the ones from fortress so that you can "INTESTINATE" them when they annoy you and do the bad things. A much more politically correct way to punish a child than a smack round the lugs(not that that did anyone any harm)

Emery Herman

Emery Herman

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I am 13. I'm turning 14 the day b4 halloween. I have had a cellular phone for almost 2 years now and I only use the [bleep] thing to call my parents when they want me to. I really dont think a 6-11 year old needs a phone because kids that age are with their parents 24/7. Who would they call at that age, anyway? Ronald mc Donald? A 12 year old might be a good idea to give a phone just so he can keep in touch and tell his/her parents when and where they will be somewhere.

vballfanatic808

vballfanatic808

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My WONDERFUL ex-hub got our 13-yr-old a CAMERA PHONE after I told him not to. My teen is on the irresponsible side still when it comes to these matters so of course, he went and took pics of his peers at school even though they said no. I took away the phone b/c 1) it's a contraband at school and 2) I had said NO to begin with.

I have since given him my old Nokia to use and he isn't allowed to take it to school.

I still think he's too young however we don't have a land line. Plus I like the fact I can call him direct when he's at his father's, I don't need to talk to the loser father first.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I am 15 and can't see my self geting one for serveral years, I hate phones any way, the only calls that I have ever made was to once to dad and a few times that I was in the car with dad and he wan'ted me to call because he was driveing, also called Dell computer help (it has something to do with me have a Dell computer) so I can't see why most kids need them. There are reasons, but most of the time they are not needed.

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I really see no point in having one myself. The cost of the bill each month is like $40. I don't see me having one anytime soon. And whoever said *They like to show off on there phones* It's true. You see like 14 and 13 at School having cell phones and wonder... How the heck are they paying for those?! My guess is there parents are stupid having to pay there childs cell phone bills. My parents would never pay such thing for me anyways. I'm 18 and feel no need in having one.

Inu-Ya :tazz:

Edited by Inu-Ya, 06 October 2005 - 09:57 AM.