Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling W2K after MB replacement

• Please log in to reply

oneref

oneref

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
HI ya'll, I just replaced mother board and getting a blue screen error in safe mode and normal boot. Not sure of easiest route and don't want to take the long road of wipe with new reinstall. What's the best way to do this? Normally I would start beating on this new install before asking question ... I've matured a bit. Asking questions before getting frustrated. I'm with just the MB and no pci's or extras yet. Thanks for sharing your expertise in advance.

Win 2K SP4
MSI KM3M
Ath XP 1800+
512 MB 2100

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I think it's going to be at least a "repair" install, as you'll have to boot with the Windows 2K CD

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
That was my first try. It's got all new hardware config to look at and can't get past the blue screen to install the new drivers for the MB. Thanks

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
oneref, Welcome to Geekstogo

So I assume you are unable to read a cd or boot from it?

Best regards,

EMCguy

oneref

oneref

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
That is correct. inaccessible_boot_device is the error I get regardless of safe mode or normal. I was trying to find a way to do this without reinstalling w2k. I tried this with two different drives of w2k os loaded, so it's not the one drive being bad. It loads through startup but when loading with w2k pro logo the bars go half way and blue screen of death. I can boot with the cd to repair or install, and already tried to repair hoping it would load generic long enough to let me get the right MB drivers loaded but that was a nogo. Just tried to setup anothe OS on the same HD and got another inaccessible_boot_device. ??? Now I'm lost!

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Quick question, have you read http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Is your computer 64 bit or 32 bit?

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
EDIT: edit for stupidity - didn't read completly

Stop 0x0000007B or INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

One concern I would have is this part :

During I/O system initialization, the controller or driver for the startup device (typically the hard disk) might have failed to initialize the necessary hardware. File system initialization might have failed because of disk or controller failure, or because the file system did not recognize the data on the boot device.

Maybe faulty IDE on the motherboard? I am guessing that the old motherboard doesn't work? You could try exchanging the motherboard and see if that fixes the issue.

Edited by Alex_Harris, 28 September 2005 - 02:35 AM.