Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Assistant Disabled

• Please log in to reply

NotAGeek42

NotAGeek42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a wireless network at home. My computer is an HP Compaq nc6220.
The first few times I tried to use my computer at home, it connected to the network with no problems. I was able to go outside and upstairs and always had a great connection.

Now, when I'm at work my computer OFTEN (not always) shows me that the Wireless Assistant cannot find any networks (which is correct) and that's fine.

But, when I'm at home and I boot my machine, it should find the wireless network and what it says is that the wireless assistant is disabled. I press the button on the top, near left of my keyboard and nothing happens - the light doesn't come on and I have to physically attach my computer to the router using a cable. I am at work now, and when I press the button it turns the wireless assistant on and off. The light comes on and 2 symbols appear in the task bar. When I turn it off, the light goes off and the symbols on the task bar have an x over them.

Another pc that I have at home is communicating with the wireless router through a USB adapter so I know the router works. Every once in a while the Compaq machine will recognize that the wireless network is there and attach.

Why would the wireless assistant work sometimes and not other times? I want it to work at home all the time. Please help.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello NotAGeek42 and welcome to Geeks To Go, :tazz:

Please answer the following questions, so I may better provide you with the support needed to correct your problem:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC's in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter currently Installed on your problematic PC?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using?

4) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero Configuration (referred to as WZC)?

5) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

6) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1 - 6, SO I MAY BETTER HELP YOU. :)