Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Life after death? Blue screen and explorer error

• Please log in to reply

sheal

sheal

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

I am trying to bring back a computer which looks as though it is near death. I would like to reinstall 98 or format if I have to. I know it had 20 or so issues with spyware, but the problem may have occured when trying to remove a version of Norton 2004. Here is what happens upon boot.

Computer starts up as normal, but then moniter clicks and a message appears saying "NAV Auto Protect is unable to determine the location of the configuration files". Entering "ok" is the only option. The monitor clicks again and two messages come up. One is to enter the user password and the other says "The Sound Blaster Audio PCI 128 D driver cannot load midi waveset. Midi Playback has been disable. I can enter the password and click ok to the midi problem. The screen is blue with the exceptions of the messages. My last message is the one about Explorer. "This program has performed an illegal operation and will shut down. Choices are "Close" or "Details". Choosing Close brings me back to the blue screen.

I have the CD's and key codes to this antique. Can it be saved? I tried rebooting with the disks in the drive, but the computer doesn't seem to notice them.

How should the Boot in Bios Set up utility read? Currently it is 1st-Removable devices, 2nd Hard Drive, 3rd ATAPI CD-Rom Drive and 4th Network Boot.
Should the order be changed?

Can I fix this or is it time to say goodbye. Please help!!

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Can you boot up in safe mode?

To use the F8 key to start Windows XP in Safe mode
Restart the computer.
Some computers have a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS. Others may not let you know what is happening.
As soon as the BIOS loads, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. If this happens, restart the computer and try again.
Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, select Safe mode and then press Enter.

If you can I suggest that you back-up all that you need before you start trying to correct these errors / reinstall.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks for getting back to me.

You mention Windows XP-that's my computer. The one I am trying to fix is a Windows 98. Will the F8 work on a 98 systems? Will try it in about an hour anyway.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
The short answer is yes.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Yes, I was able to get into the Windows 98 Start up Menu.

Not sure what number to choose. Please advise. By the way, is there a way to back up anything on this computer while it is in this state? The user is supposed to be saving important files to my drive. Looks like only the junk is being saved to the correct drive.....

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Select the option "Safe Mode".

I don't understand your last sentence.

You may have the option to burn files to a cd - if not use floppy disks.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Just a note re. saving to cd - you may find that when you reinstall the files they are "read only". This can be rectified later.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
To clarify, all documents created on the 98 computer are supposed to be saved in a particular folder which is stored on my computer over the network. I'm quessing that they are being saved to a folder in her own machine, which means they will be wiped out unless I can save them. Can I save docs to a floppy while in safe mode?

I also had a couple of questions regarding installation, I left the disks on the desk, I think one said Windows 98 and the other was System recovery. Which one is used during installation, the Win 98? I also saw a step that mentioned typing in the computers name and workgroup. Can I figure out what/if it has a name before I start? I wouldn't want to goof up the network by giving it a new name.

Thanks so much!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Yes - you can save to the floppy drive in safe mode.

Computer Name and workgroup can be located in: My Computer > Control Panel > Network > Identification.

It sounds like it should be Win98 but to be sure you can get a Boot Disk from here: http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I entered the safe mode and got the same message "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". Under details "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module explorer.exe..then list registers, bytes & stack dump.

Clicking "ok" gives me a green/blue screen with the words safe mode in all corners.

How do I access the programs from this screen, or can't I? Could you refer back to post #1 and the boot sequence? Are they ok or should the order be changed?

Where do I go from here?

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try this link: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;191609

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I entered the command ren c:\explorer.exe explorer.old and got the message "File not found c:explorer.exe". Not a good sign! Time to start new? I was hoping to try to get at the files before I killed it.

alexperez

alexperez

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The W'98 registry should be corrupted and must be restored from a backup. To do this follow these steps:

Start computer in safe mode and select Command Prompt Only
1. Restart your computer.
2. Press F8 when Windows 98 Startup is displayed.

Type these Ms-Dos commands:
cd windows
cd command
scanreg /restore

It is listed the registry backups stored in computer, they have its backup saving date. Select one saved before the problem appeared.

The system should be repaired.

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks, that sounds like there may be a chance of saving it then. I will try it tomorrow when I have some time to sit and play around with the machine.

I'll be back!

sheal

sheal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
alexperez,

I could not wait. Here are the steps I took, tell me where I went wrong.

Rebooted, tapping F8. Took me to the Microsoft Windows 98 Setup. Choices were 1. Normal, 2. Logged, 3. Safe Mode, 4. Step by Step, 5. Command Prompt, 6. Safe Mode Command.

I choose 5 which brought me right to the c prompt. I entered the Ms-Dos commands which brought me to the registry backup screen. I choose the oldest one (9/16) and got a message telling me the restore failed. This registry problem didn't start until 9/23 so it doesn't look good.

Couple of questions:

Instructions said to start in safe mode, should I have chosen #3? When I have tried this in the past the computer starts and then I get that same Explorer.exe error. Regarding the restart, should I have chosen #5 and then hit the Cont, Alt, Del? This would have just restarted the computer again, wouldn't it? Is the net result the same?

Thanks for your help.